* recentf: not applying all filters
@ 2006-01-18 16:42 Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2006-01-18 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

When `recentf-open-files-items' is non-nil (which it is, by default), then
`recentf-open-files-items' does not apply the `recentf-menu-filter' filter.

Thus if you have recentf-mode enabled, and you select the "More..." entry on
the menu, the resulting buffer of additional recently opened files, will not be
properly sorted (or whatever filter behavior was requested).

Was this intentional?  Is there a conflicting behavior that this avoids?

-- Michael

* Re: recentf: not applying all filters
@ 2006-01-18 21:07 ` David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2006-01-18 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

> When `recentf-open-files-items' is non-nil (which it is, by default), then
> `recentf-open-files-items' does not apply the `recentf-menu-filter' filter.
>
> Thus if you have recentf-mode enabled, and you select the "More..." entry on
> the menu, the resulting buffer of additional recently opened files, will not be
> properly sorted (or whatever filter behavior was requested).
>
> Was this intentional?  Is there a conflicting behavior that this avoids?

Maybe this is because `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag' is t by default, so
the 10 first items, which are assigned a digit shortcut key, are shown differently
without passing them to the `recentf-menu-filter' filter.

Could you try to disable `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag'?

Sincerely,
David

* Re: recentf: not applying all filters
@ 2006-01-19 15:51   ` Michael Mauger
From: Michael Mauger @ 2006-01-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Ponce writes:

> Hi,
>
> > When `recentf-open-files-items' is non-nil (which it is, by default),
> > then `recentf-open-files-items' does not apply the `recentf-menu-filter'
> > filter.
> >
> > Thus if you have recentf-mode enabled, and you select the "More..."
> > entry on the menu, the resulting buffer of additional recently opened
> > files, will not be properly sorted (or whatever filter behavior was
> > requested).
> >
> > Was this intentional?  Is there a conflicting behavior that this avoids?
>
> Maybe this is because `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag' is t by default,
> so the 10 first items, which are assigned a digit shortcut key, are shown
> differently without passing them to the `recentf-menu-filter' filter.
>
> Could you try to disable `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag'?
>
> Sincerely,
> David

I apologize because I mispoke (or mis-copied) in my original post.  The opening
sentence was supposed to say "When `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag' is non-
nil (which it is, by default), ...".

So, yes, turning `recentf-show-file-shortcuts-flag' off, does result in my
filter being called.  My question is: Is there a reason why they (recentf-show-
file-shortcuts-flag and recentf-menu-filter) are mutually exclusive?

-- Michael