* proposal: obsolete-var-funcs.el or compatibility-var-funcs.el
@ 2022-10-13 12:22 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-13 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

The latest master has caused me some headaches, because according to the
NEWS file a lot of obsolete variables and functions have been removed.

In some cases these definitions are rather simple, like

(define-obsolete-function-alias 'set-face-underline-p
                                'set-face-underline "24.3")

(defcustom gnus-local-domain nil
  "Local domain name without a host name.
The DOMAINNAME environment variable is used instead if it is defined.
If the function `system-name' returns the full Internet name, there is
no need to set this variable."
  :group 'gnus-message
  :type '(choice (const :tag "default" nil)
		 string))
(make-obsolete-variable 'gnus-local-domain nil "24.1")

So could such simple definitions just moved to a file

obsolete-var-funcs.el or compatibility-var-funcs.el

Instead of being deleted.

That would help users who for one or the other reason still rely on old
code, can try to survive for a bit longer.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

* proposal: obsolete-var-funcs.el or compatibility-var-funcs.el
@ 2022-10-13 15:12 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

(I apologise for a possible double posting)

[...]

* Re: proposal: obsolete-var-funcs.el or compatibility-var-funcs.el
@ 2022-10-13 16:35 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-10-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> In some cases these definitions are rather simple, like
>
> (define-obsolete-function-alias 'set-face-underline-p
>                                 'set-face-underline "24.3")

Since they are very simple, it's also very simple to correct the code
once and for all.

So just look for `set-face-underline-p` in "your" code and remove the
"-p".

* Re: proposal: obsolete-var-funcs.el or compatibility-var-funcs.el
@ 2022-10-13 16:47   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-10-13 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

>>> "SM" == Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

>> In some cases these definitions are rather simple, like
>>
>> (define-obsolete-function-alias 'set-face-underline-p
>> 'set-face-underline "24.3")

> Since they are very simple, it's also very simple to correct the code
> once and for all.

> So just look for `set-face-underline-p` in "your" code and remove the
> "-p".

Yeah, I meant just in general, in the past, these eliminating variables
has been a source of annoyance, that is why I propose to move it to a
lisp file where user, who was that problem could decide what to do with
them. Benefit, the obsolete code is removed from the main files, and
dwells in one file, that might help users with old code.

--

@ 2022-10-13 20:04     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-10-13 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Yeah, I meant just in general, in the past, these eliminating variables
> has been a source of annoyance, that is why I propose to move it to a
> lisp file where user, who was that problem could decide what to do with
> them. Benefit, the obsolete code is removed from the main files, and
> dwells in one file, that might help users with old code.

That only works for some small fraction of the things we obsolete and
then remove.