* Re: [elpa] externals/triples 9673b6de5e: Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.
       [not found] ` <20221106044705.E7459C004B8@vcs2.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2022-11-06 14:25   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-11-06 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hyatt; +Cc: emacs-devel

Looks like you force-pushed a slightly different version of this patch
to your upstream repository.  So `elpa.git` now can't track your
upstream repository because it's not a "fast forward" any more.

    % make fetch/triples
    emacs --batch -l admin/elpa-admin.el -f elpaa-batch-fetch-and-show "triples"
    Fetching updates for triples...
    Upstream of triples has DIVERGED!

      Local changes:
    9673b6de5e  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.

      Upstream changes:
    bc0fb6fc91  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.

    %

Could you resolve this by `git merge 9673b6de5e` into your
upstream branch?

In case you don't have commit 9673b6de5e any more in your local clone,
you can fetch it from `elpa.git` as follows:

    git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git externals/triples
    git merge FETCH_HEAD

And please refrain from force pushing to a public branch unless it's
*really* indispensable.

* Re: [elpa] externals/triples 9673b6de5e: Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.
@ 2022-11-06 14:55     ` Andrew Hyatt
From: Andrew Hyatt @ 2022-11-06 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sun, Nov 6, 2022 at 9:25 AM Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
wrote:

> Looks like you force-pushed a slightly different version of this patch
> to your upstream repository.  So `elpa.git` now can't track your
> upstream repository because it's not a "fast forward" any more.
>
>     % make fetch/triples
>     emacs --batch -l admin/elpa-admin.el -f elpaa-batch-fetch-and-show
> "triples"
>     Fetching updates for triples...
>     Upstream of triples has DIVERGED!
>
>       Local changes:
>     9673b6de5e  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.
>
>       Upstream changes:
>     bc0fb6fc91  ahyatt@gmail.com  Compilation fixes by Stefan Monnier.
>
>     %
>
> Could you resolve this by `git merge 9673b6de5e` into your
> upstream branch?

Apologies, I didn't even realize that ELPA git was automatically doing
this.  Just to be clear, by "upstream", you mean, in this case, my github
repo?

> In case you don't have commit 9673b6de5e any more in your local clone,
> you can fetch it from `elpa.git` as follows:
>
>     git fetch git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git externals/triples
>     git merge FETCH_HEAD

Done

> And please refrain from force pushing to a public branch unless it's
> *really* indispensable.

Thanks, will do - now I understand what's going on!

@ 2022-11-06 17:51       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2022-11-06 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Hyatt; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Could you resolve this by `git merge 9673b6de5e` into your
>> upstream branch?
>>

> Apologies, I didn't even realize that ELPA git was automatically doing
> this.  Just to be clear, by "upstream", you mean, in this case, my github
> repo?

Yup.  You can see the tarball built from the latest commit on GNU-devel
ELPA: https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/triples.html

To release on GNU ELPA itself, just bump the `Version:` number.