* server.el
@ 2016-09-18  6:42 David Klein
From: David Klein @ 2016-09-18  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

As you might know, Microsoft has recently released "Bash on Ubuntu on
Windows" which allows running Ubuntu under Windows (like cygwin, but
better).

See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/commandline/wsl/about

I was wondering if there was anyway to get gnuclient to work with this. For
example, using emacs-24.2 for MS Windows I setup the right-click menu of
Windows explorer to run emacsclientw.exe so that I can automatically load
the file into emacs.

Recently I have switched to running XEmacs under "Bash on Ubuntu on
Windows" using xming as my X-server. XEmacs comes up just fine, but I would
really like to figure out how to send its server a message to open a file.
I have no problem accessing the file from within XEmacs but I would guess
that using the server is a hopeless task, since in a way the XEmacs is
running under a different operating system.

Can you assist me with this? Even if just by saying "it is hopeless".

TIA,

David Klein

* Re: server.el
@ 2016-09-18 14:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-09-18 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Klein; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David Klein <dklein0@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 09:42:00 +0300
>
> Recently I have switched to running XEmacs under "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows" using xming as my
> X-server. XEmacs comes up just fine, but I would really like to figure out how to send its server a message to
> open a file. I have no problem accessing the file from within XEmacs but I would guess that using the server is
> a hopeless task, since in a way the XEmacs is running under a different operating system.
>
> Can you assist me with this? Even if just by saying "it is hopeless".

XEmacs has their own mailing list, it might be better to ask there.

* Re: server.el
@ 2016-09-18 16:30   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2016-09-18 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> XEmacs has their own mailing list, it might be better to ask there.

Of course, you may also stay here and use Emacs instead, which also
works great in X-Windows.