* Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-11-12 11:30 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-11-12 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi all,

[I've started this mail as a question, but while writing I got aware
that the problem isn't my fault.  So no questions here, just "FYI".]

I've just wanted to setup the emacs dev workspace on some machine as
documented on http://emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs.  When checking
out the elpa branch, I got an assertion error in bzr.

% bzr init-repo emacs
Shared repository with trees (format: 2a)
Location:
  shared repository: emacs
% cd emacs
% bzr branch bzr+ssh://tsdh@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk trunk
Branched 110872 revisions.
% bzr branch bzr+ssh://tsdh@bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa elpa
bzr: ERROR: exceptions.AssertionError: ('not present: %r', StaticTuple('', '', 'TREE_ROOT'))

Traceback (most recent call last): ...

It turns out, the issue is known for more than a year.

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/830947

There's a patch available since a few months at

  http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~rrw/bzr/830947-tree-root-exception/revision/6538

Using that bzr version, I can get the elpa branch without errors.

The contents of the emacs/elpa directory seem to be identical between
the one checked out with bzr 2.5.1 with error, and the version checked
out with the bzr/830947-tree-root-exception branch.  However, there are
differences in emacs/.bzr/.

I've asked in the bug report if it's safe to work on the elpa branch
using bzr 2.5.1 once you've checked it out initially using the
830947-tree-root-exception branch.  (Maybe it's also ok to just ignore
the error.  Who knows...)

Oh, and Stefan also reported this bug in February:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/937101

Low importance, seriously?  Am I a bit too sensitive in that this
doesn't really boost my trust in bzr?

I've added a link to the older report as Stefan's report seems to be a
duplicate.  And the older one is of High Importance with a fix (which
might or might not be correct), so hopefully it'll find it's way into
the mainline anytime soon.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-11-12 14:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-11-12 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Oh, and Stefan also reported this bug in February:
>   https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/937101
> Low importance, seriously?  Am I a bit too sensitive in that this
> doesn't really boost my trust in bzr?

I'm not happy about it either.

> duplicate.  And the older one is of High Importance with a fix (which
> might or might not be correct), so hopefully it'll find it's way into
> the mainline anytime soon.

Don't hold your breath.

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-11-12 17:59   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2012-11-12 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I'm not happy about it either.
[...]
> Don't hold your breath.

At which point (post-release) do we lose all faith and start looking
for alternatives? Yesterday's post by Alexander Belchenko and the many
replies it has generated (not!) isn't exactly reassuring.

    Juanma

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-11-12 18:22     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-11-12 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:59:45 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
> > I'm not happy about it either.
> [...]
> > Don't hold your breath.
>
> At which point (post-release) do we lose all faith and start looking
> for alternatives? Yesterday's post by Alexander Belchenko and the many
> replies it has generated (not!) isn't exactly reassuring.

I asked Richard to see what can be done.

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-12-25  0:02       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-12-25  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Juanma Barranquero, monnier, emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
>> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:59:45 +0100
>> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Stefan Monnier
>> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm not happy about it either.
>> [...]
>> > Don't hold your breath.
>>
>> At which point (post-release) do we lose all faith and start looking
>> for alternatives? Yesterday's post by Alexander Belchenko and the many
>> replies it has generated (not!) isn't exactly reassuring.
>
> I asked Richard to see what can be done.

Any updates on this?

I hit this today, and it wasn't pleasant.

--Dmitry

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2012-12-25  3:47         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-12-25  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: lekktu, monnier, emacs-devel

> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>,  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 23:02:17 -0100
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >> From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> >> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 18:59:45 +0100
> >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> At which point (post-release) do we lose all faith and start looking
> >> for alternatives? Yesterday's post by Alexander Belchenko and the many
> >> replies it has generated (not!) isn't exactly reassuring.
> >
> > I asked Richard to see what can be done.
>
> Any updates on this?

No.

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2013-01-09 16:23           ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-09 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: lekktu, emacs-devel, Dmitry Gutov

>> Any updates on this?
> No.

The latest update is that the error for "bzr co .../elpa" is not as
serious as it sounds: a subsequent "bzr update" gets you back on track.
Also there's a candidate patch for it (in the bug-report with which
mine was merged), but I don't know how good it is, and even if it's fine
it'll probably never be integrated, seeing how development has
completely stopped.

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
@ 2013-01-09 18:03             ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2013-01-09 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: lekktu, Eli Zaretskii, Dmitry Gutov, emacs-devel

>>> Any updates on this?
>> No.
>
> The latest update is that the error for "bzr co .../elpa" is not as
> serious as it sounds: a subsequent "bzr update" gets you back on track.
> Also there's a candidate patch for it (in the bug-report with which
> mine was merged), but I don't know how good it is, and even if it's fine
> it'll probably never be integrated, seeing how development has
> completely stopped.

Couldnt we simply bless a bzr branch of our own?
There are several useful patches floating around.

--
Joakim Verona

* Re: Error while checking out the elpa branch
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-01-09 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: joakim; +Cc: lekktu, Eli Zaretskii, Dmitry Gutov, emacs-devel

> Couldnt we simply bless a bzr branch of our own?
> There are several useful patches floating around.

Feel free to do that.  I have other things to attend to :-(