* inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode
@ 2018-05-30 18:46 Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2018-05-30 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Unexpectedly I was hit again by an old problem with bibtex-mode:

This mode defines functions bibtex-beginning-of-entry and
bibtex-end-of-entry which are *similar* to beginning-of-defun and
end-of-defun.  However: repeated calls of these functions do not
move point beyond the current BibTeX entry.  So, while it would be
nice in bibtex-mode to bind beginning-of-defun-function and
end-of-defun-function to these bibtex-mode functions, this won't
work at the moment.

Hence my question: how to deal with this?  I guess the options are:

(1) Keep the behavior of these functions the way they are.

(2) Align the behavior of these functions with what other modes do.

I want to check here before possibly investing more time into option
(2).  I doubt that many people use these commands interactively in a
way that changing their behavior would disturb their work flow.  I
expect that (if at all) this may affect people who have somehow
customized bibtex-mode for their needs.  But it's hard to predict
details.

* Re: inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode
@ 2018-05-30 19:35 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2018-05-30 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Hence my question: how to deal with this?  I guess the options are:
> (1) Keep the behavior of these functions the way they are.
> (2) Align the behavior of these functions with what other modes do.

(3) Keep these *commands* (maybe marking them as obsolete) and add new
    *functions* to use in beginning-of-defun-function and
    end-of-defun-function

-- Stefan

* Re: inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode
@ 2018-08-07 17:57   ` Basil L. Contovounesios
From: Basil L. Contovounesios @ 2018-08-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Roland Winkler, emacs-devel

>> Hence my question: how to deal with this?  I guess the options are:
>> (1) Keep the behavior of these functions the way they are.
>> (2) Align the behavior of these functions with what other modes do.
>
> (3) Keep these *commands* (maybe marking them as obsolete) and add new
>     *functions* to use in beginning-of-defun-function and
>     end-of-defun-function

FYI bug#32378 proposes a patch touching this area of bibtex.el.

  https://debbugs.gnu.org/32378

--
Basil

* Re: inconsistent parsing functions in bibtex-mode
@ 2018-08-08  2:33     ` Roland Winkler
From: Roland Winkler @ 2018-08-08  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Basil L. Contovounesios; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue Aug 7 2018 Basil L. Contovounesios wrote:
> > (3) Keep these *commands* (maybe marking them as obsolete) and add new
> >     *functions* to use in beginning-of-defun-function and
> >     end-of-defun-function
>
> FYI bug#32378 proposes a patch touching this area of bibtex.el.
>
>   https://debbugs.gnu.org/32378

Thanks, I'll look at this.