* screen & emacs
@ 2011-02-03  4:44 Sam Steingold
From: Sam Steingold @ 2011-02-03  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I use gnu screen on a server S to which I connect using ssh from various
client boxes (e.g., a windows desktop D and a linux laptop L).
This is great: I always see the same shell sessions on S regardless
where I connect from.
There is only one problem: I run ssh with ForwardX11=yes, so when I
start emacs on S, I see the usual GUI window on D or L (I still have to
figure out the right setting for DISPLAY for some reason) which is
precisely what I want.
Alas, when I open an emacs on S while connected from D and then go over
to L and ssh to S, then the screen session gets stolen from D and
appears on L, __BUT__ the emacs window (again, emacs is running on S,
but the window is shown on D) stays on D and does not go over to L
automagically.
Is there a way around this (except for "emacs -nw")?

PS. One thing I hate about screen is that it does not terminate
"gracefully" on reboot: it is killed so the bash histories of various
widows are not saved...

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid)
http://www.memritv.org http://dhimmi.com http://thereligionofpeace.com