* Improving docstring for defface flyspell-duplicate
@ 2006-01-24 17:09 Andrew M. Scott
From: Andrew M. Scott @ 2006-01-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andy Scott

The docstring for defface flyspell-duplicate in flyspell.el says:

  "Face used for marking a misspelled word that appears twice in the
  buffer.

Replacing "twice" above with "two or more times" would better reflect
the current behavior of the code

e.g. when I M-x flyspell-buffer, I regularly see more than two of the same
words colored with defface flyspell-duplicate.

Cheers,
Andy Scott

* Re: Improving docstring for defface flyspell-duplicate
@ 2006-01-24 22:15 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-01-24 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew M. Scott wrote:
> The docstring for defface flyspell-duplicate in flyspell.el says:
>
>   "Face used for marking a misspelled word that appears twice in the
>   buffer.
>
> Replacing "twice" above with "two or more times" would better reflect
> the current behavior of the code

How about "more than once"?  But both our suggestions make that sentence
run longer than an 80-character line when indented.

I think that "used for marking" is odd as well (the doc string for
flyspell-incorrect is similar).  How about "used to display"?

Finally, what does "appears" mean?  It certainly doesn't have anything
to do with whether the duplicate word is in a visible portion of the
buffer.  I think "occurs" is better.

Here's what I'd suggest:

*** flyspell.el~	Tue Jan 24 15:02:56 2006
--- flyspell.el	Tue Jan 24 15:12:36 2006
***************
*** 427,433 ****
   (defface flyspell-incorrect
     '((((class color)) (:foreground "OrangeRed" :bold t :underline t))
       (t (:bold t)))
!   "Face used for marking a misspelled word in Flyspell."
     :group 'flyspell)
   ;; backward-compatibility alias
   (put 'flyspell-incorrect-face 'face-alias 'flyspell-incorrect)
--- 427,433 ----
   (defface flyspell-incorrect
     '((((class color)) (:foreground "OrangeRed" :bold t :underline t))
       (t (:bold t)))
!   "Face used to display a misspelled word in Flyspell."
     :group 'flyspell)
   ;; backward-compatibility alias
   (put 'flyspell-incorrect-face 'face-alias 'flyspell-incorrect)
***************
*** 435,441 ****
   (defface flyspell-duplicate
     '((((class color)) (:foreground "Gold3" :bold t :underline t))
       (t (:bold t)))
!   "Face used for marking a misspelled word that appears twice in the
buffer.
   See also `flyspell-duplicate-distance'."
--- 435,441 ----
   (defface flyspell-duplicate
     '((((class color)) (:foreground "Gold3" :bold t :underline t))
       (t (:bold t)))
!   "Face used to display subsequent occurrences of a misspelled word.

--
Kevin Rodgers