* Re: Re: GUI X-FreeDesktop integration
@ 2021-05-29  6:45 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2021-05-29  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I had other things to fight with, so sorry for this late comment on all
this.

Background: multi-OS user (Linux and macOS) with emacs28 on both, compiling
frequently.

While fighting with make check and checking the latest macOS fixes on older
macOSes, I have started noting 'side-effects' on Linux with the
introduction of the emacs 'service'.

I normally start emacs through emacsclient. I had a nice consistent
behaviour on all my systems: i.e. a new Emacs window pops up and I can
work.

Recently, I started seeing the emacs daemon launched in my Linuxes and
emacsclient resulted in an emacs on my terminal (as in -nw) being started.
On macOS, everything is like it has been for ages, emacsclient brings my
emacs window into existence and I can start working.

I have a workaround: to stop and kill the emacs service before I start
working on my Linux machine(s). However, I see no benefit in starting an
emacs daemon, unless calling emacsclient brings up an emacs window as it
has in the last 'couple of eons' ;-)

So, if there is any additional magic to have this behaviour, sorry, but I
have missed it. Checking that I can compile emacs on my systems is sort of
all I can do besides my 'real life tasks' :-)
Any pointers would be appreciated

Best,/PA
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler