* Re: master 2c74924: * etc/MACHINES: Document that we support AArch64 with macOS.
       [not found] ` <20210131185115.B6A3C20DF3@vcs0.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2021-01-31 20:25   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-31 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Philipp Stephani

>  ** macOS
>
> -  Mac OS X 10.6 or newer.  PowerPC is not supported.
> -  For installation instructions see the file nextstep/INSTALL.
> +  Mac OS X 10.6 or newer.  Both AArch64 (Arm) and x86-64 systems are
> +  supported, but PowerPC is not supported.  For installation
> +  instructions see the file nextstep/INSTALL.

AFAIK 10.5 was the last macos version that ran on PowerPC, so "≥10.6"
already implies that macos-on-PowerPC is not supported.

* Re: master 2c74924: * etc/MACHINES: Document that we support AArch64 with macOS.
@ 2021-01-31 20:37     ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-01-31 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 03:25:10PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> >  ** macOS
> >
> > -  Mac OS X 10.6 or newer.  PowerPC is not supported.
> > -  For installation instructions see the file nextstep/INSTALL.
> > +  Mac OS X 10.6 or newer.  Both AArch64 (Arm) and x86-64 systems are
> > +  supported, but PowerPC is not supported.  For installation
> > +  instructions see the file nextstep/INSTALL.
>
> AFAIK 10.5 was the last macos version that ran on PowerPC, so "≥10.6"
> already implies that macos-on-PowerPC is not supported.

Officially, yes, but some people apparently manage to run 10.6 on
powerPC. I don't know if we really need to specify that, though, given
that it's almost certainly a tiny subset of a tiny subset of people
running macOS, and they can't reasonably be expecting official support
for their project.

--
Alan Third

* Re: master 2c74924: * etc/MACHINES: Document that we support AArch64 with macOS.
@ 2021-01-31 22:06       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2021-01-31 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Third; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

> Officially, yes, but some people apparently manage to run 10.6 on
> powerPC. I don't know if we really need to specify that, though, given
> that it's almost certainly a tiny subset of a tiny subset of people
> running macOS, and they can't reasonably be expecting official support
> for their project.

Interesting.  Makes me wonder, tho: why would Emacs not work on such
a system?  I understand that with the old unexec there was a good chance
that it wouldn't work without explicit work on our part, but the "p" of
"pdump" should avoid those problems ;-)

* Re: master 2c74924: * etc/MACHINES: Document that we support AArch64 with macOS.
@ 2021-01-31 23:56         ` Alan Third
From: Alan Third @ 2021-01-31 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Philipp Stephani, emacs-devel

On Sun, Jan 31, 2021 at 05:06:44PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Officially, yes, but some people apparently manage to run 10.6 on
> > powerPC. I don't know if we really need to specify that, though, given
> > that it's almost certainly a tiny subset of a tiny subset of people
> > running macOS, and they can't reasonably be expecting official support
> > for their project.
>
> Interesting.  Makes me wonder, tho: why would Emacs not work on such
> a system?  I understand that with the old unexec there was a good chance
> that it wouldn't work without explicit work on our part, but the "p" of
> "pdump" should avoid those problems ;-)

Yeah, I was thinking that. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't
work with the exception of some NS specific image format code (PBM or
something?) where I think we recently switched from big-endian to
little-endian. But given it took us years to notice that was broken, I
can't see it causing any problems. :)

--
Alan Third