* 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-13 11:12 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-13 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

The change from this (enhanced for Mac OS X Cocoa/GNUSTEP Emacs.app)
cond

     (cond ((memq window-system '(x mac))
	   (x-focus-frame frame))
	  ((eq window-system 'w32)
	   (w32-focus-frame frame))
	  ((eq window-system 'ns)
	   (ns-focus-frame frame)))

     (cond ((memq (window-system frame) '(x max w32 n32))

The correct form surely is

     (cond ((memq (window-system frame) '(x mac w32 ns))

--
Greetings

   Pete

If all else fails read the instructions.
                                          - Donald Knuth

* Re: 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-13 12:15 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2007-10-13 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

> The correct form surely is
>
>     (cond ((memq (window-system frame) '(x mac w32 ns))

There are some more inconsistencies here.  Does the attached patch DTRT?

[-- Attachment #2: frame.patch --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2197 bytes --]

*** frame.el.~1.257.~	Wed Oct 10 22:44:34 2007
--- frame.el	Sat Oct 13 14:12:26 2007
***************
*** 820,829 ****
      (select-frame frame)
      (raise-frame frame)
      ;; Ensure, if possible, that frame gets input focus.
!     (cond ((memq (window-system frame) '(x max w32))
! 	   (x-focus-frame frame)))
!     (cond (focus-follows-mouse
! 	   (set-mouse-position (selected-frame) (1- (frame-width)) 0))))

  (defun other-frame (arg)
    "Select the ARGth different visible frame on current display, and raise it.
--- 820,829 ----
      (select-frame frame)
      (raise-frame frame)
      ;; Ensure, if possible, that frame gets input focus.
!     (when (memq (window-system frame) '(x mac w32 ns))
!       (x-focus-frame frame))
!     (when focus-follows-mouse
!       (set-mouse-position (selected-frame) (1- (frame-width)) 0)))

  (defun other-frame (arg)
    "Select the ARGth different visible frame on current display, and raise it.
***************
*** 905,912 ****
      (raise-frame frame)
      (select-frame frame)
      ;; Ensure, if possible, that frame gets input focus.
!     (cond ((memq (window-system frame) '(x w32))
! 	   (x-focus-frame frame)))
      (when focus-follows-mouse
        (set-mouse-position frame (1- (frame-width frame)) 0))))
  \f
--- 905,912 ----
      (raise-frame frame)
      (select-frame frame)
      ;; Ensure, if possible, that frame gets input focus.
!     (when (memq (window-system frame) '(x mac w32 ns))
!       (x-focus-frame frame))
      (when focus-follows-mouse
        (set-mouse-position frame (1- (frame-width frame)) 0))))
  \f
***************
*** 1455,1461 ****
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
  		       no-blinking-cursor
  		       (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
! 		       (not (memq window-system '(x w32 mac)))))
    :initialize 'custom-initialize-safe-default
    :group 'cursor
    :global t
--- 1455,1461 ----
    :init-value (not (or noninteractive
  		       no-blinking-cursor
  		       (eq system-type 'ms-dos)
! 		       (not (memq window-system '(x w32 mac ns)))))

@ 2007-10-13 21:24 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-13 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Hello!

I took the chance to check lisp/frame.el from before the cvs update
with the recent state and your proposed patches. The last one was
missing, although already existing in RC2a of Emacs.app – and I found
it also when I was searching for the use of variable 'window-system.'
In RC2a it seems to cure a problem with a blinking cursor when it is
moved in the window.

Right now I can't tell whether it works better as before in my
regularly CVS updated RC1 code basis of Emacs.app in its X11 client
flavour: the function Snarf-documentation in lisp/loadup.el can't
find src/buildobj.lst although it exists:

	Opening file buildobj.lst: no such file or directory

Because Unicode Emacs is now version 23.0.60?

I think I'll try to compile Emacs.app and then add some debug
statement into src/doc.c to get an idea why Snarf-documentation
fails ... or I'll leave away --enable-locallisppath=... from configure!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

IMBECILITY, n.  A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire
affecting censorious critics of this dictionary.
                    -- Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_

* Re: 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-13 22:01 Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-10-13 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

Ahh, it's all my fault: trying to resolve a CVS conflict by
commenting lines in src/Makefile.in with ``#´´!

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The box said "Use Windows 95 or better," so I got a Macintosh.

* Re: 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-14  2:02 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-14  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

>     (cond ((memq window-system '(x mac))
> 	   (x-focus-frame frame))
> 	  ((eq window-system 'w32)
> 	   (w32-focus-frame frame))
> 	  ((eq window-system 'ns)
> 	   (ns-focus-frame frame)))

Can we fix this nonsense?  Let's define internal-focus-frame which depending
on the return value of `framep' will dispatch to the various
display backends.  We could even start with an elisp implementation of it.

* Re: 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-14  2:03 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-10-14  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug

>     (cond ((memq window-system '(x mac))
> 	   (x-focus-frame frame))

if the currently selected frame is on a tty but `frame' is an X11 frame, the
above will not do the right thing.

* Re: 23.0.0; Nonsense in lisp/frame.el after cvs-update
@ 2007-10-14 13:45   ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2007-10-14 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Peter Dyballa, emacs-pretest-bug

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>     (cond ((memq window-system '(x mac))
>> 	   (x-focus-frame frame))
>> 	  ((eq window-system 'w32)
>> 	   (w32-focus-frame frame))
>> 	  ((eq window-system 'ns)
>> 	   (ns-focus-frame frame)))
>>

> Can we fix this nonsense?  Let's define internal-focus-frame which depending
> on the return value of `framep' will dispatch to the various
> display backends.  We could even start with an elisp implementation of it.

What is the ns window system? On w32 that function was renamed to
x-focus-frame a few weeks back, probably the wrong version was given
priority during the merge. Generally if the function takes the same
arguments, returns the same value and does the same thing, having a
different name for different window systems' implementations just gets
in the way.