* Emms and youtube-dl
@ 2022-03-26  1:09 Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2022-03-26  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello all,

Emms is a multimedia player for Emacs available via GNU ELPA
(https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/log/?h=externals/emms)

Someone is offering to add code to Emms which supports
youtube-dl/ytdl. The FSF has a post about those programs here and
youtube generally here:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/whats-wrong-with-youtube.en.html

Initially, I rejected the code because I thought that youtube-dl runs
non-free javascript. But that FSF article says it does not. But still
the other reasons in the article, mainly that youtube-dl is a fragile
web-scraping kludge to access a resource which isn't committed to free
access, I am hesitant to add the code.

I would much rather code which supports freedom-respecting video sites
exclusively (if such sites exist, I don't know, it isn't something I
look for.)

I wanted to know if Emacs at-large had a policy here, or if you can
provide insight.

Thank you.