* patreon or alternative?
@ 2018-06-03 15:26 Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2018-06-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd like to make it easy for people to send me money in support of my
work on Emacs ada-mode.

I have an account on Patreon, because I support a couple projects that
way, so it's easy for me to use that service.

Is there a prefered Free Software alternative? I found
https://alternativeto.net/software/patreon/ ; I have not heard of any of
those services.

Is there any objection to asking for donations via Patreon (or a
different service) on the Emacs ada-mode home page
(https://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/)?

--
-- Stephe

* Re: patreon or alternative?
@ 2018-06-03 18:25 ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2018-06-03 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake, emacs-devel

I can think of Liberapay [0] and fosspay [1] off top of my head.
Liberapay is licenses under CC0 and fosspay under MIT.

Liberapay seems to be using MangoPay behind the scenes, with whom
they've apparently run into trouble with, and are in danger of
closing ([2]).  Worth keeping an eye on.

fosspay, on the other hand, uses Stripe for doing the actual
payment, which requires running non-free JS I believe.

There used to be a Gittip (later, Gratipay) at one point but it
sadly closed down last year. Liberapay and fosspay seem to be the
least worst of the available options, but I'd love to hear if
there are any better options.

[0]: https://github.com/liberapay/liberapay.com
[1]: https://github.com/SirCmpwn/fosspay
[2]: https://github.com/liberapay/salon/issues/232

P.S. PayPal seems to have an Apache-2.0 licensed JS checkout
implementation here [4] but I don't know whether or not by using
that one could entirely avoid non-free JS when making a payment.

[4]: https://github.com/paypal/paypal-checkout

Best,

-amin

* Re: patreon or alternative?
@ 2018-06-04  4:16 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-06-04  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > Is there any objection to asking for donations via Patreon (or a
  > different service) on the Emacs ada-mode home page
  > (https://www.nongnu.org/ada-mode/)?

In principle, asking for donations for free software is fine.
However, we can't promote Patreon since that site requires nonfree
software to donate.

One thing we can do is ask people to develop free replacement JS code
to talk with some of these sites.

You could ask people in the US to snail you checks, or postal money
orders.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: patreon or alternative?
@ 2018-06-06 14:52   ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-06-06 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Amin Bandali <aminb@gnu.org> writes:

> I can think of Liberapay [0] and fosspay [1] off top of my head.
> Liberapay is licenses under CC0 and fosspay under MIT.
>
> Liberapay seems to be using MangoPay behind the scenes, with whom
> they've apparently run into trouble with, and are in danger of
> closing ([2]).  Worth keeping an eye on.

Ahh man.  I thought librepay was here to stay!  I didn't realize that it
had some issues.

> fosspay, on the other hand, uses Stripe for doing the actual
> payment, which requires running non-free JS I believe.

Also sad day.  :)   Let's hope gnu wallet (is that what's it's called)
reaches 1.0 soon.