* Realgud documentation: (Was: realgud now in elpa)
@ 2016-08-02 23:42 Rocky Bernstein
From: Rocky Bernstein @ 2016-08-02 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

T.V Raman reports:

> > s/melpa/elpa/  and for the record, most packages installed via the
> > package manager be it elpa or melpa come with almost no documentation.

and rms advises:

*> It is important to write documentation for them.  How about asking*

* the authors of some packages to write manuals for them?*

I totally agree. A good deal of the software I write in fact has
extensive documentation. See for example:
https://www.gnu.org/software/libcdio/libcdio.html,
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/bashdb.html,
http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/ruby-debug.html for texinfo-style
documentation and
http://python2-trepan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
for non-texinfo style.

But in this particular case, for various reasons, it will probably be
a while before I undertake to write any sort of
comprehensive documentation in texinfo format.

However, I invite others to start with what's there in the github wiki
<https://github.com/realgud/realgud/wiki> and the README.md that is
provided in elpa,
and turn that into texinfo. And I'll be happy to include that in the
installation.

Don't know this particular package that well? Well, the best way to
learn it is to start documenting what's there as
you go along.

There are also plenty of docstrings that describe functions. And if
you have a question about something,
just contact me and I will be happy to assist or review documentation.

In sum, turn your passion for good documentation into something tangible.

* Re: Realgud documentation: (Was: realgud now in elpa)
@ 2016-08-08 22:12 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-08-08 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rocky Bernstein; +Cc: emacs-devel

I encourage people to give you the help you've asked for, but
I disagree with one point:

  > Don't know this particular package that well? Well, the best way to
  > learn it is to start documenting what's there as
  > you go along.

A good manual is not just a description of the features, but rather a
description of the best way to use them, and that often includes things
that experienced users figure out.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: Realgud documentation: (Was: realgud now in elpa)
@ 2016-08-08 23:40   ` Rocky Bernstein
From: Rocky Bernstein @ 2016-08-08 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel