* doctor.el
@ 2005-07-02 12:33 Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Would someone like to fix doctor.el so that the variable names
start with `doctor-'?

You could do this either by renaming the references too, or by
changing the code to add `doctor-' when it accesses a variable
name from one of these doctor specs.  I think the latter would be
cleaner.

* Re: doctor.el
@ 2005-07-02 22:56 ` Joshua Varner
From: Joshua Varner @ 2005-07-02 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 7/2/05, Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:
> Would someone like to fix doctor.el so that the variable names
> start with `doctor-'?
>
> You could do this either by renaming the references too, or by
> changing the code to add `doctor-' when it accesses a variable
> name from one of these doctor specs.  I think the latter would be
> cleaner.

I took a look at this and had a couple of questions.

There are a number a variables that are made buffer local, that are
unique to doctor.el should those be prefixed as well?

When you mention the 'doctor specs' are you referring to the below:
(defun doctor-meaning (x) (get x 'doctor-meaning))

(defmacro doctor-put-meaning (symb val)
    "Store the base meaning of a word on the property list."
    (list 'put (list 'quote symb) ''doctor-meaning val))

doctor-put is called on a bunch of global symbols, but the property is
prefixed by 'doctor-', if these are the ones you want converted would
it be better to not use properties at all, or to create a variable and
store the value of the property in it instead of in a property on the
new doctor- variable?

TIA,
Josh

P.S. I haven't signed papers, so if I do this I should probably get
that process started.

* Re: doctor.el
@ 2005-07-03 20:43   ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-03 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    There are a number a variables that are made buffer local, that are
    unique to doctor.el should those be prefixed as well?

On general principles it would be cleaner to do so.  Another
alternative is to defvar them without initial value, since that
doesn't affect other files.  On general principles, that is less
clean, but it might be adequate, and it might be more convenient in
other ways.

    When you mention the 'doctor specs' are you referring to the below:
    (defun doctor-meaning (x) (get x 'doctor-meaning))

    (defmacro doctor-put-meaning (symb val)
	"Store the base meaning of a word on the property list."
	(list 'put (list 'quote symb) ''doctor-meaning val))

    doctor-put is called on a bunch of global symbols, but the property is
    prefixed by 'doctor-',

Yes.

     if these are the ones you want converted would
    it be better to not use properties at all,

I looked at that, and it looks like the names defined with
doctor-put-meaning have nothing to do with the issue.  I was talking
about the names that seem to be set up as local variables.  That is
what makes the warnings.

* Re: doctor.el
@ 2005-08-02  9:42     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2005-08-02  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joshua Varner, emacs-devel

On 7/3/05, Richard M. Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

> I looked at that, and it looks like the names defined with
> doctor-put-meaning have nothing to do with the issue.  I was talking
> about the names that seem to be set up as local variables.  That is
> what makes the warnings.

I've gone for the low-tech solution of adding `defvar' for all the
vars that produce warnings (all that are passed to
`make-local-variable'). doctor.el is silent, at last.

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: doctor.el
@ 2005-08-03 13:33       ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-08-03 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jlvarner, emacs-devel

    I've gone for the low-tech solution of adding `defvar' for all the
    vars that produce warnings (all that are passed to
    `make-local-variable'). doctor.el is silent, at last.

Thank you.