* Re: turning on global-font-lock-mode by default?
       [not found]   ` <200505180622.j4I6MHKE015995@scanner2.ics.uci.edu>
@ 2005-05-18 22:44     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2005-05-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

      >     Is there any reason not to turn on global-font-lock-mode by default?
      >
      > I will give it a try for a while and see what I think.

    Could you please share your conclusions?

Initially I found some featurelets I did not like, so I changed them.
Now I like the feature.  However, it has caused Emacs to run out of
memory and crash.  I made a change recently that might fix this,
but it will take time before I see if things have got better.

* Re: turning on global-font-lock-mode by default?
       [not found]   ` <200507072109.j67L9vKE000484@scanner2.ics.uci.edu>
@ 2005-07-08  4:36     ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-08  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Is there anything left to do in order to turn on global-font-lock-mode
    by default? As far as I know it should be possible to do now.

I have occasionally had crashes in Emacs that have been running for a
while.  I think there is still a bug in the handling of memory-full
conditions.

This Emacs has been running for about 2 weeks.  I started it after the
last one crashed rather disastrously.  This tells me that my code
which disables font-locking when memory is nearly full is not
sufficient.

But I don't know what more is needed.

* Re: turning on global-font-lock-mode by default?
@ 2005-07-08  7:23       ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-07-08  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Nicolaescu, emacs-devel

"Richard M. Stallman" <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Is there anything left to do in order to turn on global-font-lock-mode
>     by default? As far as I know it should be possible to do now.
>
> I have occasionally had crashes in Emacs that have been running for a
> while.  I think there is still a bug in the handling of memory-full
> conditions.
>
> This Emacs has been running for about 2 weeks.  I started it after the
> last one crashed rather disastrously.  This tells me that my code
> which disables font-locking when memory is nearly full is not
> sufficient.

Does setting gc-cons-threshold to a small value like 4000 increase the
likelihood of the crash?  It's one of the things I try on sporadic
problems.

* Re: turning on global-font-lock-mode by default?
@ 2005-07-08 22:01         ` Richard M. Stallman
From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-07-08 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dann, emacs-devel

    Does setting gc-cons-threshold to a small value like 4000 increase the
    likelihood of the crash?  It's one of the things I try on sporadic
    problems.

Remember that these crashes usually happen days or weeks apart.  I
don't want to run in such a slow mode all the time, sorry.