* Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-04 20:07 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-05-04 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

After further discussion with our lawyer I've concluded that it really
is ok to have encryption code in Emacs.  So there is no need to
remove that.

* Re: Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-04 22:28 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-05-04 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> After further discussion with our lawyer I've concluded that it really
> is ok to have encryption code in Emacs.  So there is no need to
> remove that.

That's a relief.  Throwing out anything that could potentially made to
interface to encryption would really prove painful.

Ok, not that the efficiency of Emacs Lisp would make this feasible,
but just for the record: does your question encompass just code
interfacing to cryptographic applications, or even cryptographic code
itself written in Emacs Lisp?  The question is purely academic, so
don't exert any time for research if the answer is not clear, anyway.

* Re: Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-05  6:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-05-05  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 16:07:36 -0400
>
> After further discussion with our lawyer I've concluded that it really
> is ok to have encryption code in Emacs.  So there is no need to
> remove that.

Unless it was already done, perhaps it would be a good idea to have on
the gnu.org Web site some guidelines, based on your discussions with
the lawyers, about using encryption code in the GNU project.

* Re: Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-05 20:21   ` Richard Stallman

From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-05-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Unless it was already done, perhaps it would be a good idea to have on
    the gnu.org Web site some guidelines, based on your discussions with
    the lawyers, about using encryption code in the GNU project.

It looks like nowadays all we have to do is make suitable notices.
I'm working with a lawyer on doing that.

* Re: Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-15 13:18 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-05-15 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> After further discussion with our lawyer I've concluded that it really
> is ok to have encryption code in Emacs.  So there is no need to
> remove that.

Good news.  Does this also mean that having crypto code on Savannah is OK?  Or
are those separate issues?  I removed some of my projects from savannah recently
due to this.

Thanks.

* Re: Encryption code is ok
@ 2004-05-16 13:21   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-05-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Good news.  Does this also mean that having crypto code on Savannah is OK?

Yes.