* Bug in shell.el: explicit-bash-args does not work for bash 1.x
@ 2002-10-25 14:28 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-10-25 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

It is quite a mystery to me why I just started to get bitten by the
follow change [which is now 4 month old]:

2002-06-28  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

	* shell.el (explicit-bash-args): New user option.

This is specified to define explicit-bash-args to --noediting -i
which are the proper options for bash 2.x

However, for bash 1.x (included with e.g. redhat 6.2), the --noediting
option isn't recognized and bash refuses to start.

For bash 1.x, the corresponding option was named -nolineediting, but
even setting that option doesn't really work, as (for some reason I
don't understand) process-send-eof is then unable to terminate the
running bash 1.x (so C-d at EOB no longer exits the shell)!

Only reverting back to explicit-bash-args not including neither
--noediting nor -nolineediting makes it work ok.

As I said above, I'm puzzled why I didn't discover this earlier -- I
use shell buffers all the time, but maybe it's been some time since I
actually did that on the system where I still have redhat 6.2
installed.