* Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-21 10:41 Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-10-21 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I've been using eglot for some time now and that has implied playing around
with different LSPs and their configurations. Before going for the "complex
things", like project specific settings, I'm working on a one-fits-all my
needs config and, yes, I've been writing this in elisp, which was somehow
convoluted (and maybe not optimal for newbies).

How difficult/acceptable would it be to have a e.g.
`(locate-user-emacs-file "eglot.json")` file holding the basic one-fits-all
configuration in JSON? This files will always be overwritten with a
.dir-locals.el file for specific projects, of course.

Just asking myself...
/PA

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run
a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-21 11:59 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-10-21 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez, emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using eglot for some time now and that has implied playing around
> with different LSPs and their configurations. Before going for the "complex
> things", like project specific settings, I'm working on a one-fits-all my
> needs config and, yes, I've been writing this in elisp, which was somehow
> convoluted (and maybe not optimal for newbies).
>
> How difficult/acceptable would it be to have a e.g.
> `(locate-user-emacs-file "eglot.json")` file holding the basic one-fits-all
> configuration in JSON? This files will always be overwritten with a
> .dir-locals.el file for specific projects, of course.

Sorry, I don't understand what are you proposing.  Do you want to
customize Emacs/eglot in JSON instead of in Emacs Lisp?

Could you please clarify?

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-22  6:09   ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-10-22  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

+/- correct. I want to explore how difficult it would be to _add_ the
possibility
of customising eglot with a JSON file in the user-emacs directory. A newbie
learning Emacs Lisp might not find it easy to configure eglot with it and,
thus,
may be "tempted away" from it. The idea should be to make it easier for
people
to access cool features, not to shy them away because they need a level of
ELisp knowledge they don't have (yet).

Just my .2 cents from trying to attract people to Emacs,
/PA

--

@ 2023-10-22  6:25     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-22  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: stefankangas, emacs-devel

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:09:54 +0200
> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> +/- correct. I want to explore how difficult it would be to _add_ the possibility
> of customising eglot with a JSON file in the user-emacs directory. A newbie
> learning Emacs Lisp might not find it easy to configure eglot with it and, thus,
> may be "tempted away" from it. The idea should be to make it easier for people
> to access cool features, not to shy them away because they need a level of
> ELisp knowledge they don't have (yet).

What are we talking about, in practical terms?  What kind of
customizations are needed for Eglot before the user can start using it
with some LSP server?

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-22  9:13       ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-10-22  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: stefankangas, emacs-devel

Hi Eli,

Just an example, by no means the only thing I tinker on to get something
that is comfortable (for me -TM-):

```
 "texlab" : {
  "completion" : {
    "matcher" : "prefix"
  }
},
```
I have also experienced hick-ups with pylsp and had to temporarily change
the default behaviour to be able to work.

Best, /PA

--

@ 2023-10-22  9:31         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-22  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: stefankangas, emacs-devel

> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 11:13:32 +0200
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Just an example, by no means the only thing I tinker on to get something that is comfortable (for me -
> TM-):
>
> ```
>  "texlab" : {
>   "completion" : {
>     "matcher" : "prefix"
>   }
> },

Isn't this customization of the LSP server, not of Eglot?  If this
customizes Eglot, then can you tell what are the Eglot ELisp
equivalents of the above customizations?

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-22 11:26     ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2023-10-22 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> I want to explore how difficult it would be to _add_ the possibility
> of customising eglot with a JSON file in the user-emacs directory. A
> newbie learning Emacs Lisp might not find it easy to configure eglot
> with it and, thus, may be "tempted away" from it. The idea should be
> to make it easier for people to access cool features, not to shy them
> away because they need a level of ELisp knowledge they don't have
> (yet).

I don't think adding another customization file format helps, because
that would just mean you'd have to learn that in addition to learning
som basic Lisp.  That makes it harder to use Emacs, not easier.

If we want to make it easier to customize Emacs without knowing Lisp, I
think the best place to start is `M-x customize' and related commands.
There is definitely a lot of room for improvement there.

See (info "(emacs) Customization").

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-22 14:14       ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2023-10-22 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 22/10/2023 14:26, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> I don't think adding another customization file format helps, because
> that would just mean you'd have to learn that in addition to learning
> som basic Lisp.  That makes it harder to use Emacs, not easier.

It might help if the said format is similar enough to some configuration
snippets floating around for VS Code, for example.

* Re: Just an uninformed question
@ 2023-10-22 15:25         ` Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez @ 2023-10-22 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Stefan Kangas, emacs-devel