From: "João Távora" <joaotavora@gmail.com>
To: Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: master 08c80c45dde: Don't use file-truepath in Eglot (bug#70036)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:35:49 +0100	[thread overview]

Hey Theo,

I don't disagree strongly with these changes (*), but was surprised
to find them pushed without asking me specifically about this patch.
It's true you CCed me about the need for file-truename and I didn't
reply.  But still, another email with the patch about to be pushed
would have been nice.

I have been looking for an Eglot maintainer but everyone I contacted
said no, so I assume I'm still the maintainer.  This is in contrast
to Flymake and Jsonrpc where I've found two people willing to take it
up.

I still get some email and GitHub traffic about Eglot.  I'd very much
like to hand it over to you guys formally, I think you, Felicián,
Stefan, and others will do a fine job, collectively.  Even if I would
prefer to hand it over to someone with some kind of vision for it
(but hey beggars can't be choosers).

I'd also like to be a "whole-package situation", where you guys also
watch over the downstream GitHub repo (or convert it or phase it out
or whatever) so I can unsubscribe in peace.

Just now I got this report in the GitHub tracker about Eglot
spamming *Messages* https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot/discussions/1389
and was caught a bit off-guard, as I had nothing to do with it.

So I propose that as long as you and others (legitimately, of course)
decline the "whole package" offer, you keep giving me just a tiny bit of heads
up about what's being proposed to the code (beside the trivial "add
support for XYZ server" of course).  Or if you prefer just _inform_ me
that this or that change was pushed recently, so I can comment back
while the matter is still fresh.

Felicián did this just today with a patch proposal.

Thanks.  And thanks for your work on Eglot, of course.
João

(*) As to the actual change...

On Wed, Apr 3, 2024 at 2:27 PM Theodor Thornhill via Mailing list for
Emacs changes <emacs-diffs@gnu.org> wrote:

>     the implementation to a hash map will yield similar performance
>     benefits, but wouldn't require us to rewrite `file-truename' in C.

The change seems well structured, well coded, and well described in the
commit message, so I could understand it easily.  Do keep that up.

But of course going from file-buffer-visiting to something else
whose underlying implementation is faster but doesn't chase
symlinks is probably going to have some kind of functional implication
right?  I wonder if (or rather "I hope that") you guys considered it.
Also, when using a cache to solve a problem, remember cache invalidation
is one of the 2 hard ones ;-)  Sure this cache won't ever need
invalidation?  Even when the user moves file around during an Eglot
session?

If you ask me, this 'rewrite `file-truename' in C.' is what should be
done.   No idea how hard that is, but a hash table just isn't fit to answer the
same questions as 'find-buffer-visiting'.