* Multiple Eshell process?
@ 2015-11-09 20:43 Jesuz Networks Inc.
From: Jesuz Networks Inc.  @ 2015-11-09 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When I'm compiling something in Eshell, of Importing my mail with
offlinemap tool, then I need to wait  long time before a process in Eshell
is finished and I can use Eshell again.
As far as it seems, I could only run one Eshell process.

This is somewhat inconvenient. For example, when you run a process in Guake
terminal, you can spawn another Guake terminal in a new tab and do your
thing while a process is still running in another tab.

So I'm wondering if this could be possible with Eshell?

Rene Froger

* Re: Multiple Eshell process?
@ 2015-11-09 21:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-11-09 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesuz Networks Inc. ; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 21:43:06 +0100
> From: "Jesuz Networks Inc. " <renefroger.roeleert@gmail.com>
>
> When I'm compiling something in Eshell, of Importing my mail with offlinemap
> tool, then I need to wait long time before a process in Eshell is finished and
> I can use Eshell again.
> As far as it seems, I could only run one Eshell process.
>
> This is somewhat inconvenient. For example, when you run a process in Guake
> terminal, you can spawn another Guake terminal in a new tab and do your thing
> while a process is still running in another tab.
>
> So I'm wondering if this could be possible with Eshell?

Eshell is actually a Lisp program, and Emacs has only one Lisp
thread.  So no, this is not currently possible.  It could be possible
when we integrate the concurrency branch into Emacs, though.  Maybe.

* Re: Multiple Eshell process?
@ 2015-11-09 21:07 ` Nicolas Semrau
From: Nicolas Semrau @ 2015-11-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 09.11.2015 21:43, Jesuz Networks Inc.  wrote:
> When I'm compiling something in Eshell, of Importing my mail with
> offlinemap tool, then I need to wait  long time before a process in Eshell
> is finished and I can use Eshell again.
> As far as it seems, I could only run one Eshell process.
>
> This is somewhat inconvenient. For example, when you run a process in Guake
> terminal, you can spawn another Guake terminal in a new tab and do your
> thing while a process is still running in another tab.
>
> So I'm wondering if this could be possible with Eshell?
>
> Rene Froger

When you invoke Eshell with C-u as prefix, Emacs spawns a fresh and
seperate Eshell session rather than switching to the existing Eshell buffer.

* Re: Multiple Eshell process?
@ 2015-11-09 21:37   ` Jesuz Networks Inc.
From: Jesuz Networks Inc.  @ 2015-11-09 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks for your answer, but it seems there is some wrong perception.

While Eshell is running offlineimap, which take some hours to get finished,
I could open another Emacs client instance and do something other things
(like running Gnus or playing Tetris or do some coding), while Eshell is
running on background. So it seems it is possible to have multiple things
running, because the other process (like Tetris or Flycheck) are using the
same Lisp thread as Eshell?

@ 2015-11-09 21:44   ` Samer Masterson
From: Samer Masterson @ 2015-11-09 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: eliz, renefroger.roeleert

Eshell has sessions that you can use to have multiple eshells open at
the same time. You can start a new eshell session with "(eshell t)".

I have a function in my .emacs.d for starting new eshell sessions, which
I bind to "C-x M".

(defun my-new-eshell ()
  (interactive)
  (eshell t))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-x M") 'my-new-eshell)

-samer

@ 2015-11-09 22:12     ` Rene Froger
From: Rene Froger @ 2015-11-09 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samer Masterson; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Thanks Samer Masterson, (eshell t) did do the trick, clever of you. It
solved even my question, where I thought you need a new Eshell process for
that.

@ 2015-11-10  8:56     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2015-11-10  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesuz Networks Inc. ; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

"Jesuz Networks Inc. " <renefroger.roeleert@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for your answer, but it seems there is some wrong perception.
>
> While Eshell is running offlineimap, which take some hours to get finished, I could open another Emacs client instance and do something other things (like running Gnus or playing Tetris or do some coding), while Eshell is running on background. So it seems it is possible to have multiple things running, because the other process (like Tetris or Flycheck)
> are using the same Lisp thread as Eshell?

When eshell is running elisp code, emacs will be busy evaluating the
elisp. This is what Eli said.

However, when you work in a shell a lot of times you start external
processes. These do not occupy the Emacs lisp thread, and to the user it
seems like Emacs is multi-tasking.

--
Joakim Verona