* Suggested additional example to Emacs Lisp Manual: Variables: Let
@ 2017-01-17 20:17 ben rudgers
From: ben rudgers @ 2017-01-17 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I apologize for not entirely following the patch submission process. I'm
not sure I understand it fully yet.

The manual does not provide an example showing a locally scoped function.
Though the behavior can potentially be inferred from the documentation of
functions, an example showing the relationship between =let= and =funcall=
might be of practical help for someone who has not made a deep dive into
the manual.

I have appended the following to the documentation for =let= in the
attached file:

Functions defined within a @code{let} must be invoked using a call to
@code{funcall}.

@example
(defun foo (x)
  (let ((bar (lambda (y) (+ x y))))
    (funcall bar 3)))
(foo 4)
     @result{} 7
@end example

The standard internet search engines do not provide a well articulated
example at this time. Because locally scoped functions are a common idiom
in the Lisp family of languages, it seems likely that an example will be
helpful to programmers with experience in other Lisps. =let= seems like the
best place to put an example in the documentation.

Anyway, thanks for all you have done. If you have any questions or there is
anything I can do to help improve the documentation please let me know.

[-- Attachment #2: variables.texi --]
[-- Type: application/x-texinfo, Size: 93487 bytes --]

* Re: Suggested additional example to Emacs Lisp Manual: Variables: Let
@ 2017-01-29 19:20 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2017-01-29 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben rudgers; +Cc: emacs-devel

br> The manual does not provide an example showing a locally scoped function.
br> Though the behavior can potentially be inferred from the documentation of
br> functions, an example showing the relationship between =let= and =funcall=
br> might be of practical help for someone who has not made a deep dive into
br> the manual.

I think it would be better to encourage the use of `cl-flet' or `cl-labels',
as though macros are specifically intended for binding local function
definitions, and will automatically handle whether the function should be a
`lambda' or a `closure', depending on the setting of `lexical-binding'.

Your approach may have merit in terms of pedagogy, but I'd prefer to nudge
users toward more idiomatic usage from the beginning.

@example
(require 'cl-macs)
(defun foo (x)
  (cl-flet ((bar (y) (+ x y)))
    (bar 3)))
(foo 4)
     @result{} 7
@end example

* Re: Suggested additional example to Emacs Lisp Manual: Variables: Let
@ 2017-01-30  4:53   ` ben rudgers
From: ben rudgers @ 2017-01-30  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ben rudgers, emacs-devel