Thanks John, I don't disagree about the utility of cl-flet or cl-labels. Because 'cl is documented in an independent document it is unclear to me how that example would fit into the current editorial structure of the *GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual*. Obviously if 'cl-flet and 'cl-labels were merged into GNU Emacs Lisp, the example would work to illustrate a method for writing a locally defined functions. With the added benefit of avoiding the more cumbersome 'funcall structure. Ben On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 1:20 PM, John Wiegley wrote: > >>>>> "br" == ben rudgers writes: > > br> The manual does not provide an example showing a locally scoped > function. > br> Though the behavior can potentially be inferred from the documentation > of > br> functions, an example showing the relationship between =let= and > =funcall= > br> might be of practical help for someone who has not made a deep dive > into > br> the manual. > > I think it would be better to encourage the use of `cl-flet' or > `cl-labels', > as though macros are specifically intended for binding local function > definitions, and will automatically handle whether the function should be a > `lambda' or a `closure', depending on the setting of `lexical-binding'. > > Your approach may have merit in terms of pedagogy, but I'd prefer to nudge > users toward more idiomatic usage from the beginning. > > @example > (require 'cl-macs) > (defun foo (x) > (cl-flet ((bar (y) (+ x y))) > (bar 3))) > (foo 4) > @result{} 7 > @end example > > -- > John Wiegley GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F > http://newartisans.com 60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2 >