* Dear Emacs developers,
@ 2024-02-19  0:17 Robert Boyer
From: Robert Boyer @ 2024-02-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

Emacs' native-compiler needs to handle 'declare' and 'the', even if they
are not yet in Emacs Lisp.

I have not the slightest idea how to help do that, but there are superb
compiler writers for Common Lisp
who can get fabulous performance improvements, say 8x, by taking advantage
of 'the' and 'declare'.

I cannot help, but I can easily give you trivial Common Lisp code to show
what I am talking about.

However, I conjecture that some of you very well know what I am talking
about, and that what I am saying is ridiculously obvious to those who know
what they are talking about.

So I won't bore you by saying more.

HIghest regards to you all,

Bob
--
Anything I seem to state should be taken as a question.  I am at least 77
and feeble.

* Re: Dear Emacs developers,
@ 2024-02-19  3:49 ` Corwin Brust
From: Corwin Brust @ 2024-02-19  3:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Boyer; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sun, Feb 18, 2024 at 6:17 PM Robert Boyer
<robertstephenboyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> Emacs' native-compiler needs to handle 'declare' and 'the', even if they are not yet in Emacs Lisp.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and interest in improving Emacs Robert -
excelsior :)

> I cannot help, but I can easily give you trivial Common Lisp code to show what I am talking about.

Considering common lisp, abstractly, as a way to generate ideas to
improve Emacs has been discussed before.  I think we have mostly
agreed to take those conversations to another list,
emacs-tangents@gnu.org however as things come to a point of discussing
a specific change to Emacs that might come back to this list.

It's all very complicated I suppose, but: emacs-tangents is the ideal
place to rouse like minded people to help propose specific changes,
IMO.

> HIghest regards to you all,

Same

* Re: Dear Emacs developers,
@ 2024-02-19  7:58 ` Andrea Corallo
From: Andrea Corallo @ 2024-02-19  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Boyer; +Cc: Emacs developers

Robert Boyer <robertstephenboyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Emacs' native-compiler needs to handle 'declare' and 'the', even if they are not yet in Emacs Lisp.

Hi Robert,

I (as the original author of the native compiler) would like to have
this feature, unfortunately manpower and time at disposal are what they
are, and this is not even the only feature we are missing today and we'd
like to have.

Hopefully in the future I'll find some time to work on this or someone
else will do.

Thanks

  Andrea