* Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-27 20:24 steckerhalter
From: steckerhalter @ 2014-03-27 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

We have stumbled on an odd bug trying to install a package with
package-install-file in Emacs trunk. With Emacs 24.3.1 it works, with Emacs
trunk we get an error that a builtin library (thingatpt in this case) is
not available (for more details see the bottom of
https://github.com/quelpa/quelpa/issues/11).

The culprit seems to be this:

(package-built-in-p 'thingatpt '(0 0 0)) ; emacs 24.4
nil

(package-built-in-p 'thingatpt '(0 0 0)) ; emacs 24.3

but:

(package-built-in-p 'thingatpt) ; emacs 24.4
(thingatpt . [nil nil "get the `thing' at point"])

(package-built-in-p 'thingatpt) ; emacs 24.3

If you check list-packages you will also not find thingatpt in the list of
builtins in 24.4 which cannot be correct, right? Only packages that have a
version are listed which is the minority.

cheers,
steckerhalter

* Re: Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-27 21:19 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steckerhalter; +Cc: emacs-devel

> If you check list-packages you will also not find thingatpt in the list of
> builtins in 24.4 which cannot be correct, right?

Indeed, we don't list all the packages, since most of them have been
builtin since before ELPA even existed, so for an ELPA package to say
that it requires thingatpt is kind of pointless.

* Re: Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-27 22:38   ` steckerhalter
From: steckerhalter @ 2014-03-27 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 10:19 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

> > If you check list-packages you will also not find thingatpt in the list
> of
> > builtins in 24.4 which cannot be correct, right?
>
> Indeed, we don't list all the packages, since most of them have been
> builtin since before ELPA even existed, so for an ELPA package to say
> that it requires thingatpt is kind of pointless.

It maybe pointless. It's just that the behavior has been changed from 24.3
to 24.4

list-packages showed all package--builtins before. Now it only shows the
ones with a version. And any package that has been requiring such an
internal library will fail to install with the new Emacs version.

@ 2014-03-28  1:08   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-03-28  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: steckerhalter, emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> [...] for an ELPA package to say that it requires thingatpt is kind of
> pointless.

What if they are trying to safe-guard against thingatpt (for example)
being moved from builtin to GNU ELPA at some future date?

* Re: Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-28  1:55     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-28  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: steckerhalter, emacs-devel

> What if they are trying to safe-guard against thingatpt (for example)
> being moved from builtin to GNU ELPA at some future date?

I guess we could try and check with `locate-library'.

* Re: Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-28 20:45       ` steckerhalter
From: steckerhalter @ 2014-03-28 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I guess we could try and check with `locate-library'.

that sounds reasonable.

going through package--builtins (Emacs trunk) I also noticed that some
packages from Emacs are not in the list, while others are. for example
window.el is missing, but winner.el is included. uniquify.el is missing
too. I don't really understand this concept.

I think that the old behavior to have package-installed-p return t if the
min-version specified was (0) and the package didn't specify a version was
appropriate. is there any reason not to keep that behavior?

@ 2014-03-28 22:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-03-28 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: steckerhalter; +Cc: emacs-devel

> (package-built-in-p 'thingatpt '(0 0 0)) ; emacs 24.4
> nil
[...]
> (package-built-in-p 'thingatpt) ; emacs 24.4
> (thingatpt . [nil nil "get the `thing' at point"])

I've just installed a change in emacs-24 so that '(0 0 0) works
like nil.

* Re: Builtin packages not detected/listed in Emacs trunk
@ 2014-03-29 10:59   ` steckerhalter
From: steckerhalter @ 2014-03-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel