* Special Post: My own customisations to GNU Emacs
@ 2022-05-07 23:03 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2022-05-07 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Click on the following link to view my customizations to GNU Emacs

http://davinpearson.nz/binaries/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz

You should really extract the tarball to ~/java-training-wheels

The name is unfortunate as my java-training-wheels preprocessor is not yet
working, just the dlisp part is working, where dlisp stands for _D_avin's
version of Elisp.

One feature of my code is that M-y is rebound to create a new
buffer listing all of the entries in the kill ring.  It is this
code that I am submitting for consideration of adding my feature
to GNU Emacs.  The rest of the code is sometimes necessary
to get dmp-kill-ring--file.el online.

Features of my code include the following:

DONE: M-y is bound to a new function dmp-kill-ring--key--meta-y
DONE: (shift/control/meta) - up/down & prior/next are bound to sensible
bindings
DONE: f9, shift/control/meta f9 bound to compile
DONE: Binding the following colours: dmp-foo--bar--zip in the following
colours: RED(dmp-foo) & GRN(bar) & BLU(zip) etc.
DONE: Insert takes you to the electric buffers menu
DONE: Insert Insert takes you to the second buffer in the (buffer-list)
DONE: Files in the electric-buffer-list are coloured according to each
file's location.
DONE: Defuns hungry-delete-backwards and hungry-delete-forwards:
respectively for control/shift/meta (backspace and delete)
DONE: Major use of syntax highlighting (especially in emacs-lisp-mode).
Try loading the .../java-training-wheels/dlisp/coolmacs/*.el files to see
my preferences for syntax highlighting.
DONE: Sound samples are played at different milestones...

You will need to move ~/java-training-wheels/.emacs to ~/.emacs or
otherwise load ~/java-training-wheels/.emacs into Emacs.

Browse the following screenshots by clicking on the following link....

http://davinpearson.nz/binaries/

* Re: Special Post: My own customisations to GNU Emacs
@ 2022-05-08  1:02 ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-05-08  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 7 May 2022 at 20:04, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)

Hi Davin & all,

this seems to require Windows...
Here's what I did to unpack and inspect (VERY superficially) your code
- I'm posting it here because it may save other people a few minutes
of work:

• (eepitch-shell)
• (eepitch-kill)
• (eepitch-shell)

  cd /tmp/
  wget -nc http://davinpearson.nz/binaries/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
  rm -Rv /tmp/java-training-wheels/
  tar -tvzf
/tmp/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
  tar -C /tmp/ -xvzf
/tmp/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
  cd     /tmp/java-training-wheels/
  # (find-file "/tmp/java-training-wheels/")
  # (find-file "/tmp/java-training-wheels/dlisp/coolmacs/dmp-kill-ring--file.el")

  # Some eev-isms:
  # (code-c-d "jtw" "/tmp/java-training-wheels/")
  # (find-jtwfile "")
  # (find-jtwsh "find * | sort")
  # (find-jtwgrep "grep --color=auto -nRH --null -e dmp-kill-ring *")
  # (find-jtwfile "dlisp/coolmacs/dmp-kill-ring--file.el")

I have the impression that even on Windows your code will be
considered hard to test, and that you should try to make a minimal
version of it with less cruft. Do you know how to connect to the
#emacs IRC channel? You could try to discuss how to do that with the
people there...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/#eev

* Re: Special Post: My own customisations to GNU Emacs
@ 2022-05-17 23:23   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2022-05-17 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Ochs; +Cc: emacs-devel

My .emacs file works on Linux primarily and possibly under Windows,
although I haven't verified Windows for quite some time.

On Sun, 8 May 2022 at 13:02, Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 May 2022 at 20:04, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > (...)
>
> Hi Davin & all,
>
> this seems to require Windows...
> Here's what I did to unpack and inspect (VERY superficially) your code
> - I'm posting it here because it may save other people a few minutes
> of work:
>
> What is the following crud?  I have no idea what you are talking about.

What is eepitch?

> • (eepitch-shell)
> • (eepitch-kill)
> • (eepitch-shell)
>
>   cd /tmp/
>   wget -nc
> http://davinpearson.nz/binaries/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
>   rm -Rv /tmp/java-training-wheels/
>   tar -tvzf
> /tmp/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
>   tar -C /tmp/ -xvzf
> /tmp/java-training-wheels--bagatelles_20220506-110613.tar.gz
>   cd     /tmp/java-training-wheels/
>   # (find-file "/tmp/java-training-wheels/")
>   # (find-file
> "/tmp/java-training-wheels/dlisp/coolmacs/dmp-kill-ring--file.el")
>
>   # Some eev-isms:
>   # (code-c-d "jtw" "/tmp/java-training-wheels/")
>   # (find-jtwfile "")
>   # (find-jtwsh "find * | sort")
>   # (find-jtwgrep "grep --color=auto -nRH --null -e dmp-kill-ring *")
>   # (find-jtwfile "dlisp/coolmacs/dmp-kill-ring--file.el")
>
> I have the impression that even on Windows your code will be
> considered hard to test, and that you should try to make a minimal
> version of it with less cruft. Do you know how to connect to the
> #emacs IRC channel? You could try to discuss how to do that with the
> people there...

Please advise me on how to connect to the #emacs IRC channel?

* Re: Special Post: My own customisations to GNU Emacs
@ 2022-05-17 23:47     ` Eduardo Ochs
From: Eduardo Ochs @ 2022-05-17 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Davin,

IRC is explained here:

  (info "(rcirc)Top")
  https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/rcirc/
  http://www.irchelp.org/faq/new2irc.html

Try `M-x rcirc'. Connect to the server irc.libera.chat and then do
"/join #emacs" to join the #emacs channel.

Your .tar.gz includes lots of .exes, so I supposed that you were using
Windows.

Eepitch is explained here:

  http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-eev-quick-intro.html#6

Btw, I think that you should move your questions to help-gnu-emacs...

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/

Cheers,
  Eduardo Ochs
  http://angg.twu.net/#eev