* Re: bug#14170: 24.3; linum won't create all overlays after a folding
       [not found]     ` <jwmwt72lvk.fsf@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2013-04-10 15:07       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-04-10 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> nlinum works correctly.
> This is the answer to most recent bug reports involving linum, as I
> recall.  Will nlinum replace linum at some point?

I'm leaning this way, now, yes.
I know it breaks some customizations discussed on the EmacsWiki, but
I think we should install nlinum.el and move linum.el to obsolete.
Maybe even do it the outline way (i.e. rename linum.el to olinum.el and
rename nlinum.el to linum.el).

* Re: bug#14170: 24.3; linum won't create all overlays after a folding
@ 2013-04-10 18:52         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-04-10 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> I know it breaks some customizations discussed on the EmacsWiki,

If I'm not mistaken (has been a while since I last looked at nlinum),
it doesn't just break "some customizations discussed on the
EmacsWiki", it does break some customizations in my .emacs (which is
perhaps not very relevant for the Emacs project, but it is certainly
relevant enough for me).

> but
> I think we should install nlinum.el and move linum.el to obsolete.

As long as nlinum lacks features of linum, I don't think obsoleting it
is the way to go.