* Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
@ 2020-04-03 18:30 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2020-04-03 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dmitrii Korobeinikov <dim1212k@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to explore the feasibility of displaying two (indirect) buffers
> inside a single window, one after another. Each buffer has to look
> like it's rendered in its own mode. For the starters, each buffer can
> start on its own new line in the window. No interaction w/ text is
> required for now.

This would look the same as two windows each displaying one buffer, if
you could eliminate the mode line in betweeen them. That should be much
easier.

Hmm. Currently, the bottom line in a window is only partially displayed.
So you'd also have to adjust the top window height to allow displaying
the full last line. Or not; depends on what you want.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
@ 2020-04-05  9:33 Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2020-04-05  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stephen_leake; +Cc: emacs-devel

> This would look the same as two windows each displaying one buffer, if
> you could eliminate the mode line in betweeen them. That should be much
> easier.

> Hmm. Currently, the bottom line in a window is only partially displayed.
> So you'd also have to adjust the top window height to allow displaying
> the full last line. Or not; depends on what you want.

That's a viable approach for the first-stage case, though now I am
thinking that since my ultimate goal is to make the buffers behave as
if they were just different parts of the same buffer, tweaking
buffer.c is going to be the only right way to go anyway. So gonna be
trying to extend upon the gap buffer instead of the render engine.

* Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
@ 2020-04-05 13:18   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-04-05 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Leake; +Cc: Dmitrii Korobeinikov, emacs-devel

    Stephen> Dmitrii Korobeinikov <dim1212k@gmail.com> writes:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I want to explore the feasibility of displaying two (indirect) buffers
    >> inside a single window, one after another. Each buffer has to look
    >> like it's rendered in its own mode. For the starters, each buffer can
    >> start on its own new line in the window. No interaction w/ text is
    >> required for now.

    Stephen> This would look the same as two windows each displaying one buffer, if
    Stephen> you could eliminate the mode line in betweeen them. That should be much
    Stephen> easier.

(setq mode-line-format nil)

and then make the second window display an indirect buffer to the buffer
displayed in the first window, so you can change the major mode, then
enable follow-mode so that scrolling one scrolls the other. Untested :-)

    Stephen> Hmm. Currently, the bottom line in a window is only partially displayed.
    Stephen> So you'd also have to adjust the top window height to allow displaying
    Stephen> the full last line. Or not; depends on what you want.

I think that only happens if you have one or more of the various
*pixelwise* variables non-nil; the default is to do everything in
multiples of line-height.

Robert

* Re: [SPAM UNSURE] Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
@ 2020-04-05 20:35     ` Dmitrii Korobeinikov
From: Dmitrii Korobeinikov @ 2020-04-05 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Stephen Leake, emacs-devel

I don't know why, but I never received the email from Stephen in my
inbox (Robert's I have). I replied via "reply via e-mail to" button on
the tracker, but my reply was filed into a seperate thread [1]. I
wonder how not to make that happen again...

But, first of all, sorry, I think I have miscommunicated my general
intent in the OP. What I meant to say is that in the end I will want
the two buffers behave as if they were two regions of the same master
buffer (implying, for instance, the possibility of point seamlessly
jumping across their borders), and I thought that ommiting the
interactivity part and hacking up the renderer would be a good start.
That, admittedly, wasn't very far-sighted of me. And now I am
beginning to embrace the inevitability of having to extend upon the
gap buffer.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2020-04/msg00260.html