* TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-12 20:57 Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-12 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull, help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

No civil discussion can take place without removal of hate terminology in
the sphere of academia

Troll must now be formally declared a hate terminology

From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-12-13 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Am 12.12.2010 21:57, schrieb Fren Zeee:
> No civil discussion can take place without removal of hate terminology in
> the sphere of academia
>
> Troll must now be formally declared a hate terminology

Hi Franz,

be confident, the public will able to read and consider arguments.
Accusing someone of being this or that is not an argument, "Troll"
certainly is not an argument.

Let's calm down and consider whats at stake.
Please don't take the path extending "hate laws".

Hate is just the backside of love.
You must forbid all mankind to get rid of it.

Andreas

* Re: TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-13 19:17   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-12-13 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Andreas Röhler
<andreas.roehler@online.de> wrote:
> Am 12.12.2010 21:57, schrieb Fren Zeee:
>>
>> Troll is a hate terminology. Dont ever use it ...
>>
>> just get it.
>>
>> Franz Xe
>>

> Hi Franz,
>
> be confident, the public will able to read and consider arguments.
> Accusing someone of being this or that is not an argument, "Troll" certainly
> is not an argument.
>
> Let's calm down and consider whats at stake.
> Please don't take the path extending "hate laws".
>
> Hate is just the backside of love.
> You must forbid all mankind to get rid of it.

Hi Franz,
Some words from me too. (And I have never used a kill file. I am too
curious for that. I would guess those using rough language would
rather try to avoid sending to me ;-)

Even though some replies on this list may be frustrating it is mostly
because of misunderstandings. After reading this list for a long time
I did not even know what the word "troll" meant on internet. I had to
look it up when I first saw it being used in a group discussing open
source software. I was surprised both by the unkind attitude and the
lack of knowledge of the subject discussed in those using the word
"troll".

But please be assured that people here on this list tries to do their
best (but we sometimes fail, we are human ;-)

* Re: TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-14 11:48 ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2010-12-14 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

The emacs-devel and help-gnu-emacs lists have my deepest apologies.  I
did not expect my private message, offering sincere advice, to receive
such an obnoxious reply on any public list, let alone one I don't
participate in.

Sincerely yours,

* Re: TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-14 19:03   ` Fren Zeee
       [not found]     ` <69C26D94-1F93-4EF5-BB22-38B0B74E46BC@raeburn.org>
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-14 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> The emacs-devel and help-gnu-emacs lists have my deepest apologies.  I
> did not expect my private message, offering sincere advice, to receive
> such an obnoxious reply on any public list, let alone one I don't
> participate in.
>
> Sincerely yours,

Stephen, If you inspect my first reply to your email, which I realized
a little later was private, it was an error, and I wanted to add to
the help mailing lists, but then decided to send it anyways,

It is not personally against you at all.

It is mainly against the terminology of "troll" ... evidence being
that I forked off a thread under a different title.

It is well known that there are various subversive organizations and
agencies whose full time paid agents are on the internet and they are
quite malicious as a result of their organizational structuring if not
by personal intent.

They are operating to stop the normal human exchange, say trade and
sharing of knowledge.

It is a fact that I had _high regard_ for you, and hope to have so in
the future.

Thats why your post (later i realized ... a private email) made me
think and it was a eureka moment to realize what troll stood for and I
expressed it clearly. Other authors above have said that they could
not understand this vague term whose true meaning is only known by its
context of usage. I thank them for their contribution and testimonial.

Because it has no dictionary meaning, it continued to be used
effectively by dark forces to denigrade people. My post should help
label it as what it really is.

You probably unconsciously picked it up ... where I gave the benefit of doubt.

I dont think my post paints you in any poor light ... just that
members of human extended family can sometimes have a little
miscommunication.

However, I extend my apologies also to anyone who might have been hurt
by any strong word of mine.

Now, as far as "helpful" suggestion is concerned, here is an example
of rather business-like but a helpful post  ... the criteria being
advancing the original topic of that thread. I am sure many others
would benefit by the answer. In person, in all my academic classes, I
know that many people have thanked me for asking questions on their
behalf ... and won respect of most of my professors. Now, as we get
older, our capacity to learn new subjects can deteriorate a little.

====
Chad Brown
 to me, Emacs

show details Dec 7 (7 days ago)

On Dec 7, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Fren Zeee wrote:

> The question is VERY CLEAR !!! and SPECIFIC at the LAST STAGE !!!

Even with the CAPITAL LETTERS and the TRIPLE EXCLAMATION
POINTS!!!, I still have no idea what you're trying to accomplish.

Perhaps you would be helped by evaluating both of these in emacs:

       (pp (list 1 2))
       (pp (cons 1 2))

or perhaps:

       (pp (list (list 1 2) (list 3 4)))
       (pp (list (cons 1 2) (cons 3 4) (cons 5 6)))

I say `perhaps', because I don't really know what you're trying to
accomplish.

I hope that helps,
*Chad

* Re: TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-14 19:07     ` Fren Zeee
       [not found]     ` <69C26D94-1F93-4EF5-BB22-38B0B74E46BC@raeburn.org>
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-14 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

It is well known that there are various subversive organizations and
agencies whose full time paid agents are on the internet and they are
quite malicious as a result of their organizational structuring if not
by personal intent.

They are operating to stop the normal human exchange, say trade and
sharing of knowledge.

The way they operate is by diverting discussion on thread into flames and so on.

Why the person tries to revert the thread back, they call him or her a troll.

They invented the terminology of troll.

Now this behavior has been propagated into the general public and for
a professor to use it made me pause and reflect on the whole matter

... and advance my thesis.

@ 2010-12-14 19:10       ` Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-devel

When the person tries to revert the thread back, they call him or her a troll.

@ 2010-12-17 21:08       ` Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-17 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Raeburn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Emacs Dev

If the definition of troll is what wiki gives that it applies not on
me but on those who have written replies that never pertained to the
original "subject" of the thread. "no obligation" is not an argument,
because in any communication if there is a partial reply it should be
finished by "i am ending communication" or "i will continue
communication" otherwise the other person is left hanging.

Even a simple communication protocol like TCP/IP requires these
elements. Thien-Thi gave a partial reply and then no reply. he could
say this is all i can do, so some others could continue. These are
just basic manners. while the professor Turnbull came and use the verb
trolling which did not contribute to the subject of the thread also.

There are two more people who have indicated that the term troll is
used from the context on hating or is no argument. I use apropos and
existing facilites of help a lot and have my own special shortcuts for
them as well as the elisp manual.

Maybe, you could have replied to the other technical thread (subject:
... verbosity ...) also than writing this long essay on this one.

@ 2010-12-17 22:17         ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2010-12-17 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fren Zeee; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ken Raeburn, Emacs Dev

Fren Zeee <frenzeee@gmail.com> writes:

> If the definition of troll is what wiki gives that it applies not on
> me but on those who have written replies that never pertained to the

Please take this off-list.  Thanks.

* Re: TROLL is a HATE terminology
@ 2010-12-17 22:36           ` Fren Zeee
From: Fren Zeee @ 2010-12-17 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chong Yidong; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Ken Raeburn, Emacs Dev

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Chong Yidong <cyd@stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> Fren Zeee <frenzeee@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If the definition of troll is what wiki gives that it applies not on
>> me but on those who have written replies that never pertained to the
>
> Please take this off-list.  Thanks.

I would also like this thread to end ( ... and the other picked up ...
) but with some conclusive notes.

I would also like to take credit which was not recognized but need
emphasis ... how I ignored the flame bait by stephan monnier in the
very early stages of discussion.

It is important to remind people again and again that much .. almost
total of the development of science and technology is funded on the
tax payer money. This will keep us ethical in the long run.

cheers
Franz Xe