* licence and authorship question
@ 2018-06-30  8:57 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-06-30  8:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS devel list

If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding authorship/copyright/licence ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: licence and authorship question
@ 2018-06-30 11:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-30 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:57:32 +0900
>
> If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding authorship/copyright/licence ?

Please elaborate on what you mean by "adapt it to Emacs Lisp".

* Re: licence and authorship question
@ 2018-06-30 11:35   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-06-30 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS devel list

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 20:04, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 17:57:32 +0900
>>
>> If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding authorship/copyright/licence ?
>
> Please elaborate on what you mean by "adapt it to Emacs Lisp".

It is a single file c source game that you can run from the command line and I would like to rewrite it in elisp.

@ 2018-06-30 11:44     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-30 11:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:35:39 +0900
>
>  If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding
>  authorship/copyright/licence ?
>
>  Please elaborate on what you mean by "adapt it to Emacs Lisp".
>
> It is a single file c source game that you can run from the command line and I would like to rewrite it in elisp.

IANAL, but AFAIK rewriting in a completely different programming
language doesn't qualify as "copying", so for all practical purposes
the Lisp code will be yours and yours alone (although referring to the
C implementation as the source of the general idea and the design
would be a Good Thing).

* Re: licence and authorship question
@ 2018-06-30 12:04       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-06-30 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: EMACS devel list

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 20:44, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <brandelune@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:35:39 +0900
>>
>> If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding
>> authorship/copyright/licence ?
>>
>> Please elaborate on what you mean by "adapt it to Emacs Lisp".
>>
>> It is a single file c source game that you can run from the command line and I would like to rewrite it in elisp.
>
> IANAL, but AFAIK rewriting in a completely different programming
> language doesn't qualify as "copying", so for all practical purposes
> the Lisp code will be yours and yours alone (although referring to the
> C implementation as the source of the general idea and the design
> would be a Good Thing).

Thank you. After tweaking a few lines here and there as I've done in the past 12 months, I guess it is time to move to writing a full, even short, program.

@ 2018-06-30 23:15     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-06-30 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > It is a single file c source game that you can run from the command line and I would like to rewrite it in elisp.

When you translate a program into another language, that is a kind of
modification.  The translation is covered by the copyright on the
original program.  This applies to machine-translation and also to
hand-translation.

If the original program carries a free license, that license gives
permission to translate it.  How you can use and license the
translated program is determined by that license.  If it is the GNU
GPL, the translated program must be covered by the same versions of
the GNU GPL.

If, however, what you mean by "rewrite" is to write a new program from
scratch that does the same job, without translating the code itself,
that is not a modification of the original program.

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: licence and authorship question
@ 2018-07-01  0:52       ` Jean-Christophe Helary