* file-subdir-of-p should also apply to files
@ 2012-03-30 20:54 Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-03-30 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Rather than (file-subdir-of-p DIR1 DIR2) we should have
(file-within-p FILE DIR).  Could someone take care of this
adjustment ASAP?

* Re: file-subdir-of-p should also apply to files
@ 2012-03-31  6:44 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2012-03-31  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi Stefan,

> Rather than (file-subdir-of-p DIR1 DIR2) we should have
> (file-within-p FILE DIR).
Why and where?

It is not a problem to copy a single file of TREE to a subdirectory of
TREE, but it is a problem to copy TREE to one of its subdirectories,
isn't it?

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

* Re: file-subdir-of-p should also apply to files
@ 2012-03-31 15:09   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-03-31 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: emacs-devel

>> Rather than (file-subdir-of-p DIR1 DIR2) we should have
>> (file-within-p FILE DIR).
> Why and where?

Why not?

> It is not a problem to copy a single file of TREE to a subdirectory of
> TREE, but it is a problem to copy TREE to one of its subdirectories,
> isn't it?

We're not talking about copying but about file-subdir-of-p.
The copy operation only uses file-subdir-of-p with a first argument
which is a directory, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't also handle
the case where the first argument is a file (which occurs in some
places which currently use string-prefix-p).

* Re: file-subdir-of-p should also apply to files
@ 2012-03-31 15:28     ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2012-03-31 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 2012-03-31 17:09, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>>> Rather than (file-subdir-of-p DIR1 DIR2) we should have
>>> (file-within-p FILE DIR).
>> Why and where?
>
> Why not?

Where?

* Re: file-subdir-of-p should also apply to files
@ 2012-04-01  2:46     ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2012-04-01  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel, Thierry Volpiatto

>> It is not a problem to copy a single file of TREE to a subdirectory of
>> TREE, but it is a problem to copy TREE to one of its subdirectories,
>> isn't it?
>
> We're not talking about copying but about file-subdir-of-p.
> The copy operation only uses file-subdir-of-p with a first argument
> which is a directory, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't also handle
> the case where the first argument is a file (which occurs in some
> places which currently use string-prefix-p).

Good point.

I went ahead and did that, so that the change will be in the next
pretest.  I called the function file-in-directory-p rather than
file-within-p, to match existing file function names more closely.