* Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 10:20 İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2020-01-20 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is what
happens, running

> emacs -Q

This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by Gnome
(Consolas at pixel size 12)

If I remove all my emacs config, so no ~/.emacs ~/.config/emacs, and
run emacs (without -Q) then I get a non-scalable looking font. Trying
to select any font using the font selection results in:

"Font not available: #<font-spec nil nil Consolas nil nil normal
normal nil 12.0 nil nil nil nil>"

which I have to admit, doesn't help me :)

Also, I used to have the following in my config file:

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
        (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))

which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is not defined"

This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
build from https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
with cairo 1.16.0

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,
ismail

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 10:39 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

    İsmail> Hi,
    İsmail> Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is what
    İsmail> happens, running

    >> emacs -Q

    İsmail> This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by Gnome
    İsmail> (Consolas at pixel size 12)

You can check by doing 'C-u C-x =', which will pop up a buffer showing
what font is being used.

    İsmail> If I remove all my emacs config, so no ~/.emacs ~/.config/emacs, and
    İsmail> run emacs (without -Q) then I get a non-scalable looking font. Trying
    İsmail> to select any font using the font selection results in:

    İsmail> "Font not available: #<font-spec nil nil Consolas nil nil normal
    İsmail> normal nil 12.0 nil nil nil nil>"

    İsmail> which I have to admit, doesn't help me :)

Hmm, do you have only the bitmapped version of Consolas?

    İsmail> Also, I used to have the following in my config file:

    İsmail> (setq default-frame-alist
    İsmail>       '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
    İsmail>         (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))

    İsmail> which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is not defined"

    İsmail> This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
    İsmail> build from https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
    İsmail> with cairo 1.16.0

My WAG is that you donʼt have (m)any scalable fonts installed, just
bitmapped ones.

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 10:45   ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2020-01-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi!

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

>     İsmail> Hi,
>     İsmail> Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is what
>     İsmail> happens, running
>
>     >> emacs -Q
>
>     İsmail> This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by Gnome
>     İsmail> (Consolas at pixel size 12)
>
> You can check by doing 'C-u C-x =', which will pop up a buffer showing
> what font is being used.

It's indeed Consolas, albeit not using the fontconfig syntax:

"-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

>     İsmail> If I remove all my emacs config, so no ~/.emacs ~/.config/emacs, and
>     İsmail> run emacs (without -Q) then I get a non-scalable looking font. Trying
>     İsmail> to select any font using the font selection results in:
>
>     İsmail> "Font not available: #<font-spec nil nil Consolas nil nil normal
>     İsmail> normal nil 12.0 nil nil nil nil>"
>
>     İsmail> which I have to admit, doesn't help me :)
>
> Hmm, do you have only the bitmapped version of Consolas?

Consolas is a TTF only font.

>     İsmail> Also, I used to have the following in my config file:
>
>     İsmail> (setq default-frame-alist
>     İsmail>       '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
>     İsmail>         (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))
>
>     İsmail> which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is not defined"
>
>     İsmail> This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
>     İsmail> build from https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
>     İsmail> with cairo 1.16.0
>
> My WAG is that you donʼt have (m)any scalable fonts installed, just
> bitmapped ones.

That can't be because I have 500+ TTF fonts installed on my system.
Also, mind you emacs 26 is working just fine.

@ 2020-01-20 11:00     ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

    İsmail> Hi!
    İsmail> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 11:39 AM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

    İsmail> Hi,
    İsmail> Since the switch to cairo, I cannot set any font at all. Here is what
    İsmail> happens, running

    İsmail> This gives me a nice mono font which I suspect is the one set by Gnome
    İsmail> (Consolas at pixel size 12)

    >> You can check by doing 'C-u C-x =', which will pop up a buffer showing
    >> what font is being used.

    İsmail> It's indeed Consolas, albeit not using the fontconfig syntax:

    İsmail> "-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

You've cut off the bit I was interested in, which is the font backend
at the start.

    >> Hmm, do you have only the bitmapped version of Consolas?

    İsmail> Consolas is a TTF only font.

And you somehow end up with a non-scaled version? Curious.

    İsmail> Also, I used to have the following in my config file:

    İsmail> (setq default-frame-alist
    İsmail> '((font . "Consolas-13:antialias=natural")
    İsmail> (vertical-scroll-bars . nil)))

    İsmail> which results in "*ERROR*: Font ‘Consolas-13:antialias=natural’ is not defined"

    İsmail> This is all on openSUSE Tumbleweed (using Andreas Schwab's awesome
    İsmail> build from https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:AndreasSchwab:emacs:master/emacs)
    İsmail> with cairo 1.16.0

    >> My WAG is that you donʼt have (m)any scalable fonts installed, just
    >> bitmapped ones.

    İsmail> That can't be because I have 500+ TTF fonts installed on my system.
    İsmail> Also, mind you emacs 26 is working just fine.

I did say it was a WAG :-)  Does not specifying a size and/or removing
the 'antialias' spec help?

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 11:26       ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2020-01-20 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
>     İsmail> It's indeed Consolas, albeit not using the fontconfig syntax:
>
>     İsmail> "-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"
>
> You've cut off the bit I was interested in, which is the font backend
> at the start.

Here is the complete output with emacs -Q:

             position: 4 of 145 (2%), column: 3
            character: T (displayed as T) (codepoint 84, #o124, #x54)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x54
               script: latin
               syntax: w which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII,
l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 54" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T"
          buffer code: #x54
            file code: #x54 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    ftcrhb:-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x17)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T
  general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
  decomposition: (84) ('T')

There are text properties here:
  face                 font-lock-comment-face
  fontified            nil

And here with emacs but no config file:

             position: 72 of 905 (8%), column: 0
            character: T (displayed as T) (codepoint 84, #o124, #x54)
              charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
code point in charset: 0x54
               script: latin
               syntax: w which means: word
             category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII,
l:Latin, r:Roman
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET 54" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T"
          buffer code: #x54
            file code: #x54 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    x:-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1 (#x54)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T
  general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
  decomposition: (84) ('T')

>     İsmail> That can't be because I have 500+ TTF fonts installed on my system.
>     İsmail> Also, mind you emacs 26 is working just fine.
>
> I did say it was a WAG :-)  Does not specifying a size and/or removing
> the 'antialias' spec help?

Then it says "Font 'Consolas' is not defined"

@ 2020-01-20 12:38         ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

    İsmail> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 12:00 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
    İsmail> It's indeed Consolas, albeit not using the fontconfig syntax:

    İsmail> "-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1"

    >> You've cut off the bit I was interested in, which is the font backend
    >> at the start.

    İsmail> Here is the complete output with emacs -Q:

    İsmail>              position: 4 of 145 (2%), column: 3
    İsmail>             character: T (displayed as T) (codepoint 84, #o124, #x54)
    İsmail>               charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
    İsmail> code point in charset: 0x54
    İsmail>                script: latin
    İsmail>                syntax: w which means: word
    İsmail>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII,
    İsmail> l:Latin, r:Roman
    İsmail>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 54" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T"
    İsmail>           buffer code: #x54
    İsmail>             file code: #x54 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
    İsmail>               display: by this font (glyph code)
    İsmail>     ftcrhb:-MS  -Consolas-normal-normal-normal-*-19-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1 (#x17)

    İsmail> Character code properties: customize what to show
    İsmail>   name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T
    İsmail>   general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
    İsmail>   decomposition: (84) ('T')

    İsmail> There are text properties here:
    İsmail>   face                 font-lock-comment-face
    İsmail>   fontified            nil

And visually this looks like itʼs a bitmap font, even though you're
using the FreeType backend?

    İsmail> And here with emacs but no config file:

    İsmail>              position: 72 of 905 (8%), column: 0
    İsmail>             character: T (displayed as T) (codepoint 84, #o124, #x54)
    İsmail>               charset: ascii (ASCII (ISO646 IRV))
    İsmail> code point in charset: 0x54
    İsmail>                script: latin
    İsmail>                syntax: w which means: word
    İsmail>              category: .:Base, L:Left-to-right (strong), a:ASCII,
    İsmail> l:Latin, r:Roman
    İsmail>              to input: type "C-x 8 RET 54" or "C-x 8 RET LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T"
    İsmail>           buffer code: #x54
    İsmail>             file code: #x54 (encoded by coding system utf-8-unix)
    İsmail>               display: by this font (glyph code)
    İsmail>     x:-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--14-140-75-75-m-90-iso8859-1 (#x54)

    İsmail> Character code properties: customize what to show
    İsmail>   name: LATIN CAPITAL LETTER T
    İsmail>   general-category: Lu (Letter, Uppercase)
    İsmail>   decomposition: (84) ('T')

With no config file, why is Emacs deciding to use the 'x' font
backend? Do you have a .Xresources file or similar?

    İsmail> That can't be because I have 500+ TTF fonts installed on my system.
    İsmail> Also, mind you emacs 26 is working just fine.

    >> I did say it was a WAG :-)  Does not specifying a size and/or removing
    >> the 'antialias' spec help?

    İsmail> Then it says "Font 'Consolas' is not defined"

With no config file, rather than '-Q', right?

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 12:53           ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2020-01-20 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 1:38 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
> And visually this looks like itʼs a bitmap font, even though you're
> using the FreeType backend?

Indeed.

> With no config file, why is Emacs deciding to use the 'x' font
> backend? Do you have a .Xresources file or similar?

I do have .Xdefaults but nothing emacs related there, I'm attaching it
for reference.

>     İsmail> Then it says "Font 'Consolas' is not defined"
>
> With no config file, rather than '-Q', right?

No, that's with my normal emacs configuration.

Regards,
ismail

[-- Attachment #2: Xdefaults --]

! Base16 Atelier Heath
! Scheme: Bram de Haan (http://atelierbramdehaan.nl)

#define base00 #1b181b
#define base01 #292329
#define base02 #695d69
#define base03 #776977
#define base04 #9e8f9e
#define base05 #ab9bab
#define base06 #d8cad8
#define base07 #f7f3f7
#define base08 #ca402b
#define base09 #a65926
#define base0A #bb8a35
#define base0B #918b3b
#define base0C #159393
#define base0D #516aec
#define base0E #7b59c0
#define base0F #cc33cc

*.foreground:   base05
*.background:   base00
*.cursorColor:  base05

*.color0:       base00
*.color1:       base08
*.color2:       base0B
*.color3:       base0A
*.color4:       base0D
*.color5:       base0E
*.color6:       base0C
*.color7:       base05

*.color8:       base03
*.color9:       base08
*.color10:      base0B
*.color11:      base0A
*.color12:      base0D
*.color13:      base0E
*.color14:      base0C
*.color15:      base07

! Note: colors beyond 15 might not be loaded (e.g., xterm, urxvt),
! use 'shell' template to set these if necessary
*.color16:      base09
*.color17:      base0F
*.color18:      base01
*.color19:      base02
*.color20:      base04
*.color21:      base06

Xcursor.theme:              DMZ
Xcursor.size:               16

XTerm*borderWidth:          0
XTerm*charClass:            33:48,35:48,36-47:48,58-59:48,61:48,63-64:48,95:48,126:48
XTerm*colorBDMode:          true
XTerm*colorMode:            true
XTerm*colorBD:              rgb:fc/fc/fc
XTerm*cursorBlink:          false
XTerm*cursorUnderLine:      true
XTerm*cutNewLine:           false
XTerm*decTerminalID:        vt340
XTerm*faceName:             "Consolas"
XTerm*faceNameDoublesize:   "Consolas"
XTerm*faceSize:             14
XTerm*geometry:             119x50
XTerm*locale:               true
XTerm*scrollBar:            false
XTerm*selectToClipboard:    true
XTerm*termName:             xterm-256color

*VT100*translations: #override Alt <Btn1Up>: exec-formatted("google-chrome '%t'", CLIPBOARD)

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 13:52             ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

    İsmail> Hi,
    İsmail> On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 1:38 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> And visually this looks like itʼs a bitmap font, even though you're
    >> using the FreeType backend?

    İsmail> Indeed.

Curious

    >> With no config file, why is Emacs deciding to use the 'x' font
    >> backend? Do you have a .Xresources file or similar?

    İsmail> I do have .Xdefaults but nothing emacs related there, I'm attaching it
    İsmail> for reference.

    İsmail> Then it says "Font 'Consolas' is not defined"

    >> With no config file, rather than '-Q', right?

    İsmail> No, that's with my normal emacs configuration.

Even curiouser.

Iʼve just built emacs-master on Tumbleweed, and it can display
Consolas just fine, and has no problem with your .emacs. Could you
show us the value of 'system-configuration-features' in your Emacs? I
get:

    system-configuration-features is a variable defined in ‘C source code’.
    Its value is
    "XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG CAIRO SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
    INOTIFY ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT
    LIBOTF ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS
    LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER GMP"

If all else fails, can you run 'strace emacs' with your normal config
to see if itʼs loading some site-specific configuration files? Those
might be messing with the font setup.

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 14:35               ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: İsmail Dönmez; +Cc: emacs-devel

    Robert> If all else fails, can you run 'strace emacs' with your normal config
    Robert> to see if itʼs loading some site-specific configuration files? Those
    Robert> might be messing with the font setup.

In fact, looking through Andreas' package repo, I see it includes an
app-defaults.Emacs that does:

    Emacs.FontBackend:		xft,x

which is going to cause problems on a cairo-enabled build. Is it
possible for you to remove that setting, or try something like

    Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,xft,x

or

    Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,x

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 15:27                 ` T.V Raman
                                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-01-20 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1523 bytes --]

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
I ran into a similar issue over the weekend after building emacs from
Git.

I had inherited these lines in .Xresources from way back:
Emacs.FontBackend:	ftcrhb,xft,x
Emacs*font:	-adobe-Utopia-normal-normal-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

After the update/build, emacs refused to start in GUI mode, -- emacs -nw
worked, and it displayed the font backend error when started as emacs
under X.

I worked around the problem by commenting out the emacs.font line and it
started with Adobe Courier.

This morning, I updated the font backend line as suggested by you, and
now I get over 3,000+ fonts -- and uncommenting the Adobe Utopia line
does not cause the error.

Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
now recommended?

From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-20 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:35:43 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> In fact, looking through Andreas' package repo, I see it includes an
> app-defaults.Emacs that does:
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		xft,x
>
> which is going to cause problems on a cairo-enabled build. Is it
> possible for you to remove that setting, or try something like
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,xft,x
>
> or
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,x

Another source of such problems is the desktop file, if İsmail uses
desktop-save-mode.

* Re: Font problem on git master
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-20 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: ismail, rpluim, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 271 bytes --]

> From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> Cc: 02smail D0‹2nmez <ismail@i10z.com>,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 07:27:52 -0800
>
> Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
> now recommended?

Indeed, I think we should.

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 16:21                   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

    TVR> Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:
    TVR> I ran into a similar issue over the weekend after building emacs from
    TVR> Git.

    TVR> I had inherited these lines in .Xresources from way back:
    TVR> Emacs.FontBackend:	ftcrhb,xft,x

It failed with ftcrhb as the first item? Are you building Emacs with
Cairo but without HarfBuzz?

    TVR> Emacs*font:	-adobe-Utopia-normal-normal-normal-*-*-*-*-*-*-0-iso10646-1

    TVR> After the update/build, emacs refused to start in GUI mode, -- emacs -nw
    TVR> worked, and it displayed the font backend error when started as emacs
    TVR> under X.

    TVR> I worked around the problem by commenting out the emacs.font line and it
    TVR> started with Adobe Courier.

    TVR> This morning, I updated the font backend line as suggested by you, and
    TVR> now I get over 3,000+ fonts -- and uncommenting the Adobe Utopia line
    TVR> does not cause the error.

What did you update it to? If itʼs

ftcrhb,x

are you now using the 'x' font backend?

    TVR> Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
    TVR> now recommended?

Done.

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 16:34                   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel

    >> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
    >> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 15:35:43 +0100
    >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >>
    >> In fact, looking through Andreas' package repo, I see it includes an
    >> app-defaults.Emacs that does:
    >>
    >> Emacs.FontBackend:		xft,x
    >>
    >> which is going to cause problems on a cairo-enabled build. Is it
    >> possible for you to remove that setting, or try something like
    >>
    >> Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,xft,x
    >>
    >> or
    >>
    >> Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,x

    Eli> Another source of such problems is the desktop file, if İsmail uses
    Eli> desktop-save-mode.

I thought desktop-save-mode in emacs-27 and master filtered out
font-backend settings on save and load?  That was the intent of
91762e49e1, no?

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-20 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raman, ismail, rpluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 581 bytes --]

> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 17:50:29 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: ismail@i10z.com, rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
> > Cc: 02smail D0‹2nmez <ismail@i10z.com>,
> >  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 07:27:52 -0800
> >
> > Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
> > now recommended?
>
> Indeed, I think we should.

Or maybe we could make Emacs ignore some font backend specifications
in .Xresources, when they conflict with the Cairo build?  Would that
make sense?

* Re: Font problem on git master
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-20 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Cc: ismail@i10z.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 17:34:55 +0100
>
>     Eli> Another source of such problems is the desktop file, if İsmail uses
>     Eli> desktop-save-mode.
>
> I thought desktop-save-mode in emacs-27 and master filtered out
> font-backend settings on save and load?  That was the intent of
> 91762e49e1, no?

It should do that, yes, but I'm not 100% sure it happens on the first
load from the old desktop.  Just a thought.

* Re: Font problem on git master
@ 2020-01-20 18:05                 ` İsmail Dönmez
From: İsmail Dönmez @ 2020-01-20 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 3:35 PM Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> wrote:

>     Robert> If all else fails, can you run 'strace emacs' with your normal config
>     Robert> to see if itʼs loading some site-specific configuration files? Those
>     Robert> might be messing with the font setup.
>
> In fact, looking through Andreas' package repo, I see it includes an
> app-defaults.Emacs that does:
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:          xft,x
>
> which is going to cause problems on a cairo-enabled build. Is it
> possible for you to remove that setting, or try something like
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:          ftcrhb,xft,x
>
> or
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:          ftcrhb,x

This indeed fixes the problem. I'll send a fix to Andreas, thanks a lot!

@ 2020-01-20 18:22                   ` T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2020-01-20 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=gb18030, Size: 1872 bytes --]

"T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:

correction: earlier Xresources did not include ftcrhb as a font back-end
 which is what caused the error.
I found the right value ftcrhb,ftcr,x from the  elisp info manual --
 it's documented in frame.texi found by grepping the git logs.

@ 2020-01-20 18:33                       ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2020-01-20 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: ismail, emacs-devel, raman

    >> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 17:50:29 +0200
    >> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    >> Cc: ismail@i10z.com, rpluim@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >>
    >> > From: "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com>
    >> > Cc: İsmail Dönmez <ismail@i10z.com>,
    >> >  emacs-devel@gnu.org
    >> > Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 07:27:52 -0800
    >> >
    >> > Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
    >> > now recommended?
    >>
    >> Indeed, I think we should.

    Eli> Or maybe we could make Emacs ignore some font backend specifications
    Eli> in .Xresources, when they conflict with the Cairo build?  Would that
    Eli> make sense?

Iʼm not sure that would have helped here. Weʼd have ended up using the
'x' backend, and I think the font in question was only available under
'xft', or 'ftcr' (or 'ftcrhb'). We could always complain, of course,
but that would also annoy people, no doubt.

Robert

* Re: Font problem on git master
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-20 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: ismail, raman, emacs-devel

> From: Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:33:42 +0100
> Cc: ismail@i10z.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org, raman@google.com
>
>     >> > Could we update the News file with  details on what font backends are
>     >> > now recommended?
>     >>
>     >> Indeed, I think we should.
>
>     Eli> Or maybe we could make Emacs ignore some font backend specifications
>     Eli> in .Xresources, when they conflict with the Cairo build?  Would that
>     Eli> make sense?
>
> Iʼm not sure that would have helped here. Weʼd have ended up using the
> 'x' backend, and I think the font in question was only available under
> 'xft', or 'ftcr' (or 'ftcrhb'). We could always complain, of course,
> but that would also annoy people, no doubt.

Then NEWS it is, I guess.

Thanks.

* Re: Font problem on git master
                                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2020-01-20 19:33                 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2020-01-20 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: İsmail Dönmez, emacs-devel

On Jan 20 2020, Robert Pluim wrote:

> In fact, looking through Andreas' package repo, I see it includes an
> app-defaults.Emacs that does:
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		xft,x
>
> which is going to cause problems on a cairo-enabled build. Is it
> possible for you to remove that setting, or try something like
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,xft,x
>
> or
>
>     Emacs.FontBackend:		ftcrhb,x

I'll remove the app-defaults file.  I doesn't look like it contains
anything useful any more.

Thanks, Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org
GPG Key fingerprint = 7578 EB47 D4E5 4D69 2510  2552 DF73 E780 A9DA AEC1