* elpa-deploy.el --- ELPA deployment library
@ 2019-08-29  0:16 Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2019-08-29  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello GNU Emacs developers,

Please, find attached ‘elpa-deploy.el’.  Quoting from its commentary
section:

   This library provides ‘elpa-deploy’: a function which automatizes
   the deployment of simple and multi-file packages.  This consists of
   updating the version field of a package source using the current
   timestamp, generating its tar archive if multi-file, and uploading
   the results to a specified ELPA directory, while deleting any
   previous version of the same package already deployed.

I find this useful for deploying simple and multi-file packages to ELPA
directories for test and release (in VCS) within an organization.

Please, let me know about desirable improvements and whether this is
suitable for inclusion in the standard distribution.  I’m also
interested to know about alternative approaches.

Grateful for your time.

[-- Attachment #2: elpa-deploy.el --]

 88888  FFFFF Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
 8   8  F     http://oitofelix.freeshell.org/
 88888  FFFF  mailto:oitofelix@gnu.org
 8   8  F     irc://chat.freenode.org/oitofelix
 88888  F     xmpp://oitofelix@riseup.net

* Re: elpa-deploy.el --- ELPA deployment library
@ 2019-08-29 15:11 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-08-29 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Please, find attached ‘elpa-deploy.el’.  Quoting from its commentary
> section:
>
>    This library provides ‘elpa-deploy’: a function which automatizes
>    the deployment of simple and multi-file packages.  This consists of
>    updating the version field of a package source using the current
>    timestamp, generating its tar archive if multi-file, and uploading
>    the results to a specified ELPA directory, while deleting any
>    previous version of the same package already deployed.

[ Not sure what is an "ELPA directory".  ]

It sounds related to what package-x.el aimed to do.

> Please, let me know about desirable improvements and whether this is
> suitable for inclusion in the standard distribution.  I’m also
> interested to know about alternative approaches.

I'd welcome it in GNU ELPA.  Even better if it can be made to provide
a superset of package-x.el (so we can mark it as obsolete).
I don't see a clear need to have it bundled with Emacs, OTOH.

* Re: elpa-deploy.el --- ELPA deployment library
@ 2019-09-01  0:02   ` Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro @ 2019-09-01  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro, emacs-devel

Hello Stefan,

> [ Not sure what is an "ELPA directory".  ]

Quoting ‘package-archive-upload-base’ variable documentation from
‘package-x.el’:

  The base location of the archive to which packages are uploaded.

> It sounds related to what package-x.el aimed to do.

Certainly.  In my view ‘elpa-deploy.el’ complements the
‘package-upload-file’ function from ‘package-x.el’ --- it actually uses
that as its final step.  The function ’elpa-deploy’ automatizes the
upload of a library so that after changes to the library’s code only a
single command is needed to perform the upload.

> I'd welcome it in GNU ELPA.  Even better if it can be made to provide
> a superset of package-x.el (so we can mark it as obsolete).

I see it as an inclusion to ‘package-x.el’.  Perhaps ‘elpa-deploy’
function should be renamed to ‘package-deploy’ and put into
‘package-x.el’.

I think ’package-x.el’ + ’elpa-deploy.el’ is incidentally a super-set of
’package-x.el’. ;) Are you aware of a particular reason why one would
want to make ‘package-x.el’ as such obsolete?

> I don't see a clear need to have it bundled with Emacs, OTOH.

This may be true.  I’d argue that it has no more need than
‘package-x.el’ does.

Best regards,