* Slow TLS connections from some servers
@ 2011-09-11  0:48 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Currently, the following takes ten seconds for me:

(url-retrieve "https://www.deleak.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/annalogoonblack.jpg" #'ignore)

While it's evaling Emacs is completely unresponsive.  gdb seems to say
that it's deep in gnutls-boot somewhere during this time.

Would it be possible to make the gnutls-boot code more asynchronous?

* Re: Slow TLS connections from some servers
@ 2011-09-11 14:43 ` Antoine Levitt
From: Antoine Levitt @ 2011-09-11 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

11/09/11 02:48, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> Currently, the following takes ten seconds for me:
>
> (url-retrieve "https://www.deleak.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/annalogoonblack.jpg" #'ignore)
>
> While it's evaling Emacs is completely unresponsive.  gdb seems to say
> that it's deep in gnutls-boot somewhere during this time.
>
> Would it be possible to make the gnutls-boot code more asynchronous?

Same here, but only the first time, it's instantaneous after that. FWIW,
I'm using dnsmask to cache DNS responses, so maybe it's DNS that's
slowing things down again.

Can you try wiresharking it to see where the transaction hangs?

* Re: Slow TLS connections from some servers
@ 2011-09-11 15:45   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-09-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Antoine Levitt <antoine.levitt@gmail.com> writes:

> Same here, but only the first time, it's instantaneous after that. FWIW,
> I'm using dnsmask to cache DNS responses, so maybe it's DNS that's
> slowing things down again.
>
> Can you try wiresharking it to see where the transaction hangs?

Unfortunately, this no longer hangs Emacs for me...

* Re: Slow TLS connections from some servers
@ 2011-09-25 12:11 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-09-25 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:48:52 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Currently, the following takes ten seconds for me:
LMI> (url-retrieve "https://www.deleak.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/annalogoonblack.jpg" #'ignore)

LMI> While it's evaling Emacs is completely unresponsive.  gdb seems to say
LMI> that it's deep in gnutls-boot somewhere during this time.

LMI> Would it be possible to make the gnutls-boot code more asynchronous?

GnuTLS itself is asynchronous and Emacs processes are sort of
asynchronous, but AFAICT the Emacs part that *initializes* a process
isn't.  So fixing this could require moving the `gnutls-boot' call to
after the process is initialized, which would of course require more
bookkeeping and work.

Could someone with better knowledge of the Emacs processes confirm my
guess or tell me a better way?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: Slow TLS connections from some servers
@ 2011-10-27 22:13   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-27 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:11:54 -0500 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 02:48:52 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
LMI> Currently, the following takes ten seconds for me:
LMI> (url-retrieve "https://www.deleak.com/blog/wp-content/uploads//2011/06/annalogoonblack.jpg" #'ignore)

LMI> While it's evaling Emacs is completely unresponsive.  gdb seems to say
LMI> that it's deep in gnutls-boot somewhere during this time.

LMI> Would it be possible to make the gnutls-boot code more asynchronous?

TZ> GnuTLS itself is asynchronous and Emacs processes are sort of
TZ> asynchronous, but AFAICT the Emacs part that *initializes* a process
TZ> isn't.  So fixing this could require moving the `gnutls-boot' call to
TZ> after the process is initialized, which would of course require more
TZ> bookkeeping and work.

TZ> Could someone with better knowledge of the Emacs processes confirm my
TZ> guess or tell me a better way?

I'll put this on my GnuTLS TODO list as well as I review the code.

Thanks
Ted