* highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 11:01 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi

I googled around and found
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40071598/emacs-how-to-enable-highlighting-breakpoints-in-a-text-terminal-emacs-nw

Well I would like to hightlight gud-breakpoints also in regular
graphical emacs. I searched, look up the packages in elpa etc but found
nothing.

Are there any plans to provide such a feature?

To put that into context: I am asking this because I am debugging matlab
files which is a bit awkward since mathworks broke some time ago an API
which allowed emacs to navigate the debugging process, this is no longer
possible but there is a sort of patch/kludge which makes it still
possible, however the breakpoint is not seen during the debugging. This
is why I am asking.

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 11:55 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-10 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Uwe Brauer

On April 10, 2019 2:01:23 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I googled around and found
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40071598/emacs-how-to-enable-highlighting-breakpoints-in-a-text-terminal-emacs-nw
>
> Well I would like to hightlight gud-breakpoints also in regular
> graphical emacs. I searched, look up the packages in elpa etc but
> found
> nothing.
>
> Are there any plans to provide such a feature?
>

> To put that into context: I am asking this because I am debugging
> matlab
> files which is a bit awkward since mathworks broke some time ago an
> API
> which allowed emacs to navigate the debugging process, this is no
> longer
> possible but there is a sort of patch/kludge which makes it still
> possible, however the breakpoint is not seen during the debugging.
> This
> is why I am asking.
>
> Thanks
>
> Uwe Brauer

This is already supported: disable the left fringe, and Emacs will show breakpoints in the left display margin, as it does on text-mode terminals.

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 11:57   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > On April 10, 2019 2:01:23 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

   > This is already supported: disable the left fringe, and Emacs will
   > show breakpoints in the left display margin, as it does on text-mode
   > terminals.

Thanks, but forgive my ignorance: what do you mean by
«disable the left fringe»?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 12:03   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > On April 10, 2019 2:01:23 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

   > This is already supported: disable the left fringe, and Emacs will
   > show breakpoints in the left display margin, as it does on text-mode
   > terminals.

Hm I tried out

(fringe-mode 1)
(set-fringe-mode '(0 . 0))
(set-fringe-mode '(0 . 1))

But nothing helped, gud-break does not show anything.

I am using emacs master compiled a couple of weeks ago.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 12:07     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-10 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Uwe Brauer

On April 10, 2019 2:57:30 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> > On April 10, 2019 2:01:23 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> wrote:
>
>   > This is already supported: disable the left fringe, and Emacs will
> > show breakpoints in the left display margin, as it does on text-mode
>    > terminals.
>
> Thanks, but forgive my ignorance: what do you mean by
> «disable the left fringe»?

M-x fringe-mode RET right-only RET

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 12:11     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-10 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Uwe Brauer

On April 10, 2019 3:03:52 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> > On April 10, 2019 2:01:23 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> wrote:
>
>   > This is already supported: disable the left fringe, and Emacs will
> > show breakpoints in the left display margin, as it does on text-mode
>    > terminals.
>
> Hm I tried out
>
> (fringe-mode 1)
> (set-fringe-mode '(0 . 0))
> (set-fringe-mode '(0 . 1))
>
> But nothing helped, gud-break does not show anything.
>
> I am using emacs master compiled a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe I misunderstood you: the feature you described is available with "M-x gdb".  If you mean GUD in general, then AFAIK it doesn't show breakpoints at all, so I'm confused by what exactly did you want to achieve on GUI frames.

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 12:17       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > On April 10, 2019 3:03:52 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

   > Maybe I misunderstood you: the feature you described is available with
   > "M-x gdb". If you mean GUD in general, then AFAIK it doesn't show
   > breakpoints at all, so I'm confused by what exactly did you want to
   > achieve on GUI frames.

I presume it is a misunderstanding. Matlab.el provides support for
editing matlab files, and allows to debug matlab files, via the
matlab-shell and the internal matlab debugger. That is done via gud.

So I hoped that emacs would provide for gud in general, not just for
gdb, a graphical support which would indicate where the gud-breakpoint
is set. I will try to contact the author of the relevant debugging code
in matlab.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: highlight lines with gud breakpoints
@ 2019-04-10 12:36         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-04-10 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Uwe Brauer

On April 10, 2019 3:17:27 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> > On April 10, 2019 3:03:52 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> wrote:
>
> > Maybe I misunderstood you: the feature you described is available
> with
>    > "M-x gdb". If you mean GUD in general, then AFAIK it doesn't show
>  > breakpoints at all, so I'm confused by what exactly did you want to
>    > achieve on GUI frames.
>
> I presume it is a misunderstanding. Matlab.el provides support for
> editing matlab files, and allows to debug matlab files, via the
> matlab-shell and the internal matlab debugger. That is done via gud.
>
> So I hoped that emacs would provide for gud in general, not just for
> gdb, a graphical support which would indicate where the gud-breakpoint
> is set. I will try to contact the author of the relevant debugging
> code
> in matlab.

 GUD doesn't support this, and AFAIK never did.  You will have to steal the code from gdb-mi.el to have that feature with gud.el commands.

* [a kludge] (was: highlight lines with gud breakpoints)
@ 2019-04-10 12:41       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > On April 10, 2019 3:03:52 PM GMT+03:00, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

   > Maybe I misunderstood you: the feature you described is available with
   > "M-x gdb". If you mean GUD in general, then AFAIK it doesn't show
   > breakpoints at all, so I'm confused by what exactly did you want to
   > achieve on GUI frames.

How I found the following kludge in

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40071598/emacs-how-to-enable-highlighting-breakpoints-in-a-text-terminal-emacs-nw

(require 'gdb-mi)
(setq default-text-properties '(foo 1111))

(defun set_breakpt_cmds ()
  "Set Breakpoint and indicate on Editor"
  (interactive)
  (gud-break 1)
  (gdb-put-breakpoint-icon "false" (get-text-property 1 'foo)))

Problem is: how to I remove the icon

(defun remove-breakpoint-icons ()
  (interactive)
  (move-beginning-of-line 1)
  (mark-end-of-line 1)
  (gdb-remove-breakpoint-icons  (region-beginning) (region-end)))

Sort of works, but it is a real kludge. Any comments?

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: [a kludge]
@ 2019-04-10 13:02         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2019-04-10 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

   > How I found the following kludge in

   > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40071598/emacs-how-to-enable-highlighting-breakpoints-in-a-text-terminal-emacs-nw

   > (require 'gdb-mi)
   > (setq default-text-properties '(foo 1111))

   > (defun set_breakpt_cmds ()
   >   "Set Breakpoint and indicate on Editor"
   >   (interactive)
   >   (gud-break 1)
   >   (gdb-put-breakpoint-icon "false" (get-text-property 1 'foo)))

   > Problem is: how to I remove the icon

   > (defun remove-breakpoint-icons ()
   >   (interactive)
   >   (move-beginning-of-line 1)
   >   (mark-end-of-line 1)
   >   (gdb-remove-breakpoint-icons  (region-beginning) (region-end)))

Should be

(defun my-gud-remove-breakpoint-with-icons ()
  (interactive)
  (gud-remove 1)
  (gdb-remove-breakpoint-icons  (line-beginning-position) (line-end-position)))