* New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-29 14:31 Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-01-29 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:53:31 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Happy Chinese New Year!
From: hf@hongfeng.ch
To: rms@gnu.org

what I meant is to use different colors for nested parentheses of
Lisp code, indicating the hierarchy or the layers, e.g. the outermost
parentheses displayed in red, while the innermost one is violet.
We can try the solar spectrum for them.

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-29 16:04 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-01-29 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: rms

> Message: 9
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:31:44 -0500
> From: Richard M Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Subject: New paren matching feature request
> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 06:53:31 +0100 (CET)
> Subject: Re: Happy Chinese New Year!
> From: hf@hongfeng.ch
> To: rms@gnu.org
>
> what I meant is to use different colors for nested parentheses of
> Lisp code, indicating the hierarchy or the layers, e.g. the outermost
> parentheses displayed in red, while the innermost one is violet.
> We can try the solar spectrum for them.

If you remember, a few months ago I have written an automaton that in one for-loop over a sexp; it returned a list of the correct indentation for that sexp. It also can return a list of the positions and the deep-level of every sexp. More that that, I have said then that it is identically to the automaton from `parse-partial-sexp`. I have told then that my code can be used to colorize all the paranthesis into a different color depending of the level.

I do not understand why nobody considered my code. Otherwise I could have re-writen it in C and included in parse-partial-sexp, and this one could have returned information about indentation too.

Écoutez en un clic votre musique préférée et découvrez de nouveaux titres en affinité avec vos goûts sur http://musiline.voila.fr

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-29 21:50 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2009-01-29 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

    RMS> what I meant is to use different colors for nested
    RMS> parentheses of Lisp code, indicating the hierarchy or the
    RMS> layers, e.g. the outermost parentheses displayed in red,
    RMS> while the innermost one is violet.  We can try the solar
    RMS> spectrum for them.

I think highlight-parentheses.el provides the features you are looking for:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightParentheses

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www.withouthat.org/~toto/contact.html

There is no need to open the refrigerator.
You already know that the world is cold.

Kinky Friedman: The Love Song of J. Edgar Hoover

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-30  7:25 ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-01-30  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

I have a feeling that the right way to do this kind of colorization
is through Font Lock mode, and that the hardest part of the job
is hooking it up to the structure of jit-lock.

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-31  1:39   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-01-31  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: alinsoar, emacs-devel

> I have a feeling that the right way to do this kind of colorization
> is through Font Lock mode, and that the hardest part of the job
> is hooking it up to the structure of jit-lock.

I agree and I also think that Alin's right in that the best way to do it
is via parse-partial-sexp (suitably enhanced if/as needed).
Font-lock-mode already uses parse-partial-sexp to do
comment&string highlighting.

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-01-31  1:48 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-01-31  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

I still believe that my idea of indetation as an integral over the sexp is better than the current local-parsing idea of identation.

Maybe you will consider it one day.

@ 2009-01-31  2:16 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-01-31  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Richard   Stallman  [rms]; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

It's a question of belief to decide whether the code of indetation as local-parsing or as a sum is better; I ask myself what is the process of forming of the belief.

In the last past 20 years at least, in the Museums of Egypt the great finger from the hands of the statues dissapeared and continue so. The experts in religious sectes asked themselves why. They found out the answer: the egyptians believe that the soul get out from the statues and can be dangerous. They believe that it can hurt peuple with his hands.

§

Today during the lunch I made an exeperiment at the restaurant:

I asked somebody whether a hand without the great finger can hurt somebody. He said: "Yes, quite so!". He was right. Then I took a knife and hit the table with its top. (without using the great finger). And I saw that the hand without the great finger can be dangerous.

Why the egyptians believe such a thing?

@ 2009-01-31 21:33 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-01-31 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

> I still believe that my idea of indetation as an integral over the
> sexp is better than the current local-parsing idea of identation.

I don't necessarily disagree.  `local-parsing' has its advantages as
well (mostly it's more robust in cases where we got the syntax wrong,
e.g. because Emacs doesn't know/understand the detailed syntax, or
because the buffer's text is syntactically incorrect).
This said, it should be possible to get the best of both worlds.

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01  1:09 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2009-02-01  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: emacs-devel

() "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr>
() Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:16:55 +0100 (CET)

   And I saw that the hand without the great finger can be dangerous.

   Why the egyptians believe such a thing?

The hand can be dangerous when it moves.
If the soul is held within, it roils motionless.

Likewise, applying an algorithm to a heuristic need can be dangerous.

Unlike the statues, however, we are lucky to have diff and emacs.
I encourage you to refine the patch and post it again after the release.

thi

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01  2:30 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-01  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

>    And I saw that the hand without the great finger can be dangerous.
>
>    Why the egyptians believe such a thing?
>
> The hand can be dangerous when it moves.
> If the soul is held within, it roils motionless.

Pffffufff. There passed more that 400 years since Giordano Bruno was killed and still the men says jokes. And only 17 years since the professor Ioan Petru Culianu was murdered...

In the Middle Age was defined the evolution of mankind: science was born (due to a religious bill emmited by the pope Inocentium in 1494). At that epoch, the europeans conquered little by little all the world. When they met the cannibals from Oceania, when they saw them , they asked themselves: "All the peuple have soul? Or the soul is just an illusion created by the european culture?". The scientist gave the answer: all the peuple have soul. But the soul of cannibals is attached by a different system of values. They have cultivated another values. That means that they believe in another things.

For exemple, the cannibals from a tribe of Oceania believed that if one does not eat an european, after the death they will be condemned to hit the mug from the bottom of the ocean.

Every action that a man do depends completely on what he believes.

Have you heard about the journalist that wrote an article in Russia a few months ago, and she was injaled into a hospital of mads, and she is injected every day some vaccins to destroy her nervous system? The nowadays ortodixisme does not any longer the values system of the old bizantine ortodoxisme. The was between Russia and America is a religious war...

@ 2009-02-01  6:31     ` Richard M Stallman
From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-02-01  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: alinsoar, emacs-devel

    I agree and I also think that Alin's right in that the best way to do it
    is via parse-partial-sexp (suitably enhanced if/as needed).
    Font-lock-mode already uses parse-partial-sexp to do
    comment&string highlighting.

So the idea would be to modify the syntactic highlighting code?

From: Richard M Stallman @ 2009-02-01  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: monnier, emacs-devel

    I still believe that my idea of indetation as an integral over the
    sexp is better than the current local-parsing idea of identation.

Could you refresh our memories about your idea
and how it works?

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01 11:37 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-01 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> Could you refresh our memories about your idea
> and how it works?

At the end of the next week or during the second week from now I will send at emacs devel a patch at which I am working now, afterwards I will make a presentation of the idea how the automaton for indentation works. After I wrote the automaton for indentation, I saw that in fact it worked exactly like parse-partial-sexp.

@ 2009-02-01 18:44 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2009-02-01 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

() "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr>
() Sun,  1 Feb 2009 03:30:39 +0100 (CET)

   Every action that a man do depends completely on what he believes.

True.  That is why it is important to refine the patch.  People believe more
and more in the patch the more it is refined in a way that suits their belief.

thi

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01 21:12 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-01 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> True.  That is why it is important to refine the patch.  People believe more
> and more in the patch the more it is refined in a way that suits their belief.

This week I will work on another patch, and when I finish (maybe at the end of the week), I will make a presentation of the indetation. It is an application of the Leibniz-Newton formula.

It was well written in lisp, but not too much commented.

@ 2009-02-01 21:38       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2009-02-01 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: alinsoar, emacs-devel

>     I agree and I also think that Alin's right in that the best way to
>     do it is via parse-partial-sexp (suitably enhanced if/as needed).
>     Font-lock-mode already uses parse-partial-sexp to do
>     comment&string highlighting.

> So the idea would be to modify the syntactic highlighting code?

Yes, tho rather than "modify" I'd call it "extend" or "beef up".

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01 23:42 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2009-02-01 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alinsoar; +Cc: Emacs Dev [emacs-devel]

() "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr>
() Sun,  1 Feb 2009 22:12:25 +0100 (CET)

   This week I will work on another patch, and when I finish
   (maybe at the end of the week), I will make a presentation
   of the indetation.  It is an application of the
   Leibniz-Newton formula.

Cool.

   It was well written in lisp, but not too much commented.

If you write the comments now, you will save yourself the
trouble of correcting comments-written-by-others, later.

thi

* Re: New paren matching feature request
@ 2009-02-01 23:56 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-01 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> () "A. Soare" <alinsoar@voila.fr>
> () Sun,  1 Feb 2009 22:12:25 +0100 (CET)
>
>    This week I will work on another patch, and when I finish
>    (maybe at the end of the week), I will make a presentation
>    of the indetation.  It is an application of the
>    Leibniz-Newton formula.
>
> Cool.
>
>    It was well written in lisp, but not too much commented.
>
> If you write the comments now, you will save yourself the
> trouble of correcting comments-written-by-others, later.

I will make a presentation about the indentation on some suggestive cases of lisp code, and after you understand the idea, il will be easy to undersyand the code commented as it is.

@ 2009-02-02  0:19 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-02  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]; +Cc: rms

Russian Psychiatric Institutions:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/21/AR2007102101386.html

@ 2009-02-02 17:40 A. Soare
From: A. Soare @ 2009-02-02 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, Richard   Stallman  [rms]; +Cc: Emacs   Dev  [emacs-devel]

> > So the idea would be to modify the syntactic highlighting code?
>
> Yes, tho rather than "modify" I'd call it "extend" or "beef up".

You are speaking just about "syntactic highlighting" or about both "syntactic highlighting" and indetation ?

First of all it must be installed in lisp, and afterwards it must be re-written in elisp, by extending parse-p-s.

Ecoutez le dernier single de U2 "Get on your boots" sur http://musiline.voila.fr !