* tree widget
@ 2004-04-08 12:07 Masatake YAMATO
From: Masatake YAMATO @ 2004-04-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: xsteve

How do you think including tree-widget developed by David PONCE
in emacs official distribution?

screenshot -> http://emhacks.sourceforge.net/tw-shots.html

It may be useful to represent branches of version control systems
in a buffer.

Masatake YAMATO

* Re: tree widget
@ 2004-04-14  6:41 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-04-14  6:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

> I would like David PONCE to explain the cutting edge version if such a
> version is existing.

The latest version of tree-widget.el is available from the SF CVS at:

http://cvs.sf.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/emhacks/emhacks/tree-widget.el

Last changes since released version 2.0 were mainly to improve
portability and handling of images themes.  Here is the relevant
change log:

2003-11-24  David Ponce  <david@dponce.com>

	* tree-widget.el

	Add support for image properties by theme.  Improve portability.

	(tree-widget-create-image): Add new optional argument for image
	properties.
	(tree-widget--image-properties): New variable.
	(tree-widget-set-image-properties): New function.
	(tree-widget-find-image): Use it.  No depend of `locate-library'.

2003-10-06  David Ponce  <david@dponce.com>

	* tree-widget.el

	(tree-widget-image-type-available-p): Remove.
	(tree-widget-image-formats): Return supported formats.
	(tree-widget-find-image): Try each image file extension before
	searching in default theme.

Thanks for your interest in tree-widget.  Of course, I will be glad to
contribute it to GNU Emacs, and maintain it too, as my free time will
permit ;-)

David

* Re: tree widget
@ 2004-04-29 16:06 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-04-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]
> How do you think including tree-widget developed by David PONCE
> in emacs official distribution?

Hi All,

I received, and will shortly send back the signed paper
allowing to include tree-widget in the GNU Emacs distribution.  As I
got write access to CVS, I should be able to check it in myself.

In order to do so, I would like some advice about the following
points.

First, I suppose that tree-widget.el should go into the main lisp
directory?

The next point looks more promizing ;-)

tree-widget can use image themes to display nice-looking trees.  For
now, I created two graphical themes: a general purpose "default"
theme, and a file system oriented "folder" theme.  Each theme contains
a set of images with predefined names that represent the different
parts of the tree to draw.  When an image is not found in a particular
theme, the one in the "default" theme is used, so it is easy to create
a new theme by overriding only certain images.

>From an implementation point of view, a theme is a subdirectory in a
main theme directory:

 tree-widget-themes/
   default/
     <default-theme-images>
   folder/
     <folder-theme-images>

Choosing a theme, is simply to give the name of the corresponding
subdirectory.

The main theme directory is customizable, it can be an absolute name,
or the name of a subdirectory located respectively in the `load-path'
or in the `data-directory'.  By default, tree-widget search for a
"tree-widget-themes" subdirectory.

My question is where to install the theme directory?  In the lisp
directory (I am not convinced this is the right place), or in the
`data-directory' ("./etc"), which seems a better choice.

It is not clear to me where images (and other data files) specific to a
package should be installed.  To compare, in XEmacs things look
better: each package has its own data directory where you can put
images and other things.  A `locate-data-directory' function is
provided for packages to easily retrieve their data directory.  For
example tree-widget uses (locate-data-directory "tree-widget").

Perhaps it could be worth having a similar organization in "etc", that
is a sub-directory for each package that needs one for its data files.
This way the lisp directory would remain clean (only Elisp).

For example, there could be a "etc/tree-widget" directory where
tree-widget could search for the "built-in" themes.  It is easily to
use its own themes via a customized theme directory added to the
`load-path'.

I hope my explanations were clear enough.  Thank you so much for any
advice.

Regards.

David

* Re: tree widget
@ 2004-04-30  6:42 David PONCE
From: David PONCE @ 2004-04-30  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi Kim,

[...]
> What about
>
>         lisp/tree-widget/tree-widget.el
>
> for the code and
>
>         lisp/tree-widget/default/
>         lisp/tree-widget/theme1/
>         lisp/tree-widget/theme2/
>
> etc for the various theme directories.
> Then everything would be "self-contained".

That's a good idea!  If there is no objections, I will do that when possible.

Thanks!
David