* terminal emulation
@ 2011-06-02 18:43 axel.junker
From: axel.junker @ 2011-06-02 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I am using GNU Emacs as the environment for all my daily computing tasks on my GNU Linux system. So far I am really content with what Emacs already provides - Gnus, org-mode, Dired, shell-mode, etc. There is just one thing that is bugging me. Ocasionally I have to fall back to an external terminal emulator (e.g. gnome-terminal) to run ncursed based applications like aptitude. Is there any way to run such applications from within emacs? shell-mode obviously does not work, and both M-x term and M-x terminal-emulator are broken. (Try aptitude in either one of them).
In particular, I would like to have a terminal emulator that is a real emulator without any nitty gritty. That is, any key press is directly forwarded to the underlying terminal, except for one escape character (e.g. C-c).
Does that make sense? Is there any interest in patching term to support that?

-- Axel

* Re: terminal emulation
@ 2011-06-03  0:43 ` =?iso-8859-1?Q?Renaud_Casenave-P=E9r=E9?=
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Renaud_Casenave-P=E9r=E9?= @ 2011-06-03  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: axel.junker; +Cc: emacs-devel

You can try ansi-term [http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AnsiTerm] or multi-term
[http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MultiTerm] which should do what you want. In
particular, aptitude seems to work flawlessly (I just tried 2 minutes ago).

If your shell complains about terminfo, you might need to install the package
ncurses-term (at least on Debian).

--
Renaud Casenave-Péré

* Re: terminal emulation