* debbugs-gnu-bugs doesn't honor debbugs-gnu-default-packages
@ 2017-03-11  8:43 Tino Calancha
From: Tino Calancha @ 2017-03-11  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers, tino.calancha

Hi Michael,

Command `debbugs-gnu-bugs' doesn't honor `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'.
The addition of new packages in the bug tracker makes this command less
convenient.  Sure, some people might want to see all bugs; but package
maintainers probably prefer that this command just list the newest bugs
against the package they are maintaining.

If it's hard to make `debbugs-gnu-bugs' follow `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'
maybe we should add a new command to provide such functionality i.e.,
to list the newest bugs filled against a package in `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'.

I don't know how to implement this.  Any advice would be much
appreciated.

Regards,
Tino

* Re: debbugs-gnu-bugs doesn't honor debbugs-gnu-default-packages
       [not found] <alpine.DEB.2.20.1703111744520.27617@calancha-pc>
@ 2017-03-11 20:11 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2017-03-11 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tino Calancha; +Cc: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen, Emacs developers

Tino Calancha <tino.calancha@gmail.com> writes:

> [Forwarded because i used the wrong e-mail address included in
> debbugs-gnu package.  Maybe good occasion to update it :) ]

Thanks for the hint; I've updated.

> Hi Michael,

Hi Tino,

> Command `debbugs-gnu-bugs' doesn't honor `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'.
> The addition of new packages in the bug tracker makes this command less
> convenient.  Sure, some people might want to see all bugs; but package
> maintainers probably prefer that this command just list the newest bugs
> against the package they are maintaining.

This is a deficiency only if you apply it for a range of bugs, say "the
last 10 bugs" or "all bugs between 23000 and 24000". Otherwise, it
behaves as expected.

`debbugs-gnu-bugs' is an Elisp function implementing the SOAP interface
function newest_bugs, see <http://wiki.debian.org/DebbugsSoapInterface>.
No other filters are applied.

> If it's hard to make `debbugs-gnu-bugs' follow `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'
> maybe we should add a new command to provide such functionality i.e.,
> to list the newest bugs filled against a package in
> `debbugs-gnu-default-packages'.
>
> I don't know how to implement this.  Any advice would be much
> appreciated.

We could extend `debbugs-gnu' for this. The back side is, that we could
decide client side only. That means, we retrieve all bugs which match
`debbugs-gnu-default-packages', but show then only the bugs "between
23000 and 24000". This is suboptimal in terms of performance.

Let me think about.