* @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 14:20 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-18 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel
  Cc: Bill Wohler, Reiner Steib, Teodor Zlatanov, Michael Kifer,
	Jay Belanger, Katsumi Yamaoka, Michael Albinus, Carsten Dominik,
	Alan Mackenzie, Karl Berry

I've committed to the emacs-23 branch changes in almost all of the
manuals in doc/misc that synchronize their @dircategory directives
with the corresponding entries in the info/dir top-level menu.  This
is so running install-info on the Emacs Info files does not cause
duplicate entries in the menu created by the Info readers from all the
`dir' files it finds on INFOPATH.

Some of the manuals' master copies are maintained outside of the Emacs
repository.  I tried to CC all of them here.  Please, when merging
future versions into the Emacs repository, be extra careful so as not
to lose these changes.  Ideally, you should sync your master copies
with these changes now.  Thanks in advance.

There's one problem left in this area that I'm unsure what to do
about, if at all.  The @dircategory directive of info.texi says
"Texinfo documentation system", and I believe it is maintained as part
of the Texinfo package.  The info/dir file that comes with Emacs puts
the corresponding menu entry at the very beginning (so that Info
newbies could see it), with no category at all.  OTOH, changing the
@dircategory for info.texi would be frowned upon by the Texinfo
maintainers.  So I didn't change it for now.

Karl, any suggestions?

Personally, I tend to think we could leave it alone: if someone runs
install-info on the Emacs Info manuals, she probably already has the
Texinfo manuals installed anyway, so the entry for `info' will end up
in that part, which is okay.

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 15:23 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-02-18 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Eli,

> Some of the manuals' master copies are maintained outside of the Emacs
> repository.  I tried to CC all of them here.  Please, when merging
> future versions into the Emacs repository, be extra careful so as not
> to lose these changes.  Ideally, you should sync your master copies
> with these changes now.  Thanks in advance.

You have also changed

   trampver.texi [emacs]: Set emacsname to "Emacs".

I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
what we are speaking about.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 15:30   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-02-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 16:23:01 +0100
>
> You have also changed
>
>    trampver.texi [emacs]: Set emacsname to "Emacs".

Yes, sorry, I meant to mention that, but forgot.

> I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
> discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
> what we are speaking about.

That's fine, but can we then remove the use of emacsname in the
@dircategory directive, and use "Emacs" instead?

The reason I changed that is the info/dir's category is "Emacs network
features", so if Tramp says "GNU Emacs network features", it will not
match.

Alternatively, we could have a separate variable, say,
emacsdircategory, which would be "Emacs network features" for Emacs
and "XEmacs" for XEmacs.  Would you prefer this instead?

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 15:35     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-02-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Alternatively, we could have a separate variable, say,
> emacsdircategory, which would be "Emacs network features" for Emacs
> and "XEmacs" for XEmacs.  Would you prefer this instead?

Yes, this sounds good. I'll push it upstream then.

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 18:55   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-02-18 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

> I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
> discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
> what we are speaking about.

FYI, several years ago I got an email from rms about this kind of thing
in the manuals. He said:

   It should say just "Emacs", not "GNU Emacs".
   [...]
   If you see any place in the Emacs sources that contrasts "XEmacs"
   with "GNU Emacs", please report it to me so I can fix it, or else
   fix it yourself.

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-18 22:58     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-02-18 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
>> discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
>> what we are speaking about.
>
> FYI, several years ago I got an email from rms about this kind of thing
> in the manuals. He said:
>
>    It should say just "Emacs", not "GNU Emacs".
>    [...]
>    If you see any place in the Emacs sources that contrasts "XEmacs"
>    with "GNU Emacs", please report it to me so I can fix it, or else
>    fix it yourself.

I see.

When I started contributing to Tramp back in 2002, I used the term "FSF
Emacs". I was told to change it to "GNU Emacs" (I cannot find the email
in the archive, but it was not RMS). Things change, again.

I will check, how to adapt this in the Tramp manual.

@ 2011-02-18 23:17     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-02-18 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris wrote:

>> I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
>> discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
>> what we are speaking about.
>
> FYI, several years ago I got an email from rms about this kind of thing
> in the manuals.

Oh, I see he made an entry in faq.texi about this (2004-08-27).

* Re: @dircategory entries sync'ed with info/dir
@ 2011-02-19 19:58       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-02-19 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>>> I would prefer to keep "GNU Emacs", because at some places the manual
>>> discusses shortly differences to "XEmacs", and I want to make it obvious
>>> what we are speaking about.
>>
>> FYI, several years ago I got an email from rms about this kind of thing
>> in the manuals.
>
> Oh, I see he made an entry in faq.texi about this (2004-08-27).

I've changed it for Tramp in the emacs-23 branch accordingly.

Thanks for clarification, and best regards, Michael.