* refcard sources in Org
@ 2022-12-14 12:36 Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-14 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, Timothy

Hi,

In Org ML, we recently had a suggestion to switch orgcard.tex source
from tex to Org. https://orgmode.org/list/87mtakvq0d.fsf@tec.tecosaur.net

The main argument in favour of this approach is that we can automate key
binding calculation using Org macros, making it less painful to maintain
the card in case if the default bindings change in future.

However, the current Emacs card generation is tailored to tex.
Kyle pointed out that:

> Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
>   fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
>   .org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
>   the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
>   involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
>   the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
>   handling probably wouldn't be received warmly.

However, Kyle's statement is anyway just what he thinks. So, I am just
going ahead and asking what Emacs devs think about this idea. Would it
increase maintenance load on you?

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,

* Re: refcard sources in Org
@ 2022-12-14 13:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-12-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ihor Radchenko; +Cc: emacs-devel, orgmode

> From: Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net>
> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 12:36:33 +0000
>
> > Something to consider: orgcard.tex is included in the Emacs repo and
> >   fits into their refcard machinery.  If the source changes from .tex to
> >   .org, the .org file must be included in the Emacs repo, as is done with
> >   the .org of the manual now (bug#45143, bug#46837).  Doing so would
> >   involve extra setup and handling on the Emacs side.  Even if someone on
> >   the Org side volunteers to do that work, another case of special
> >   handling probably wouldn't be received warmly.
>
> However, Kyle's statement is anyway just what he thinks. So, I am just
> going ahead and asking what Emacs devs think about this idea. Would it
> increase maintenance load on you?

It would mean etc/refcards/Makefile will have to be augmented to
produce the TeX version, which probably means it will have to be a
separate target dependent on the Emacs binary that has to be built
before that.

It also means Someone(TM) will have to know enough Org to maintain the
refcard over the years.

* Re: refcard sources in Org
@ 2022-12-14 13:42   ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2022-12-14 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel, orgmode

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> However, Kyle's statement is anyway just what he thinks. So, I am just
>> going ahead and asking what Emacs devs think about this idea. Would it
>> increase maintenance load on you?
>
> It would mean etc/refcards/Makefile will have to be augmented to
> produce the TeX version, which probably means it will have to be a
> separate target dependent on the Emacs binary that has to be built
> before that.
>
> It also means Someone(TM) will have to know enough Org to maintain the
> refcard over the years.

I see.
Then, considering that refcard bindings are not really changing all that
often (and they should not, anyway), I will indeed be better to leave
this idea alone.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,