* CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-13 18:18 David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I find it difficult to search for bugs related to CEDET in the bug
tracker. I usually search for 'semantic', 'cedet', 'srecode' and
similar, but that's cumbersome and I also probably miss some.

It'd be nice if that could be improved. Maybe CEDET could become a
package, like Gnus or cc-mode?

-David

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-13 18:58 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-13 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Engster wrote:

> I find it difficult to search for bugs related to CEDET in the bug
> tracker. I usually search for 'semantic', 'cedet', 'srecode' and
> similar, but that's cumbersome and I also probably miss some.
>
> It'd be nice if that could be improved. Maybe CEDET could become a
> package, like Gnus or cc-mode?

Sure, you can have that if you have a dedicated mailing list for CEDET
bug reports. That's why those other packages exist; they correspond to
bug-cc-mode@gnu.org and bugs@gnus.org. If you don't, I would suggest
simply retitling bugs to include "cedet", or using usertags, rather than
a package.

But it doesn't magically make things better. Someone (usually me) has to
manually assign things to the right package. And of course I just start
by doing the kind of search that you have already done.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-13 19:05   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-13 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> David Engster wrote:
>
>> I find it difficult to search for bugs related to CEDET in the bug
>> tracker. I usually search for 'semantic', 'cedet', 'srecode' and
>> similar, but that's cumbersome and I also probably miss some.
>>
>> It'd be nice if that could be improved. Maybe CEDET could become a
>> package, like Gnus or cc-mode?
>
> Sure, you can have that if you have a dedicated mailing list for CEDET
> bug reports. That's why those other packages exist; they correspond to
> bug-cc-mode@gnu.org and bugs@gnus.org. If you don't, I would suggest
> simply retitling bugs to include "cedet", or using usertags, rather than
> a package.

We don't have a dedicated CEDET bug list; bugs are usually reported to
cedet-devel. But I didn't know about usertags; I just read the relevant
part in admin/notes/bugtracker, and it sounds pretty easy to handle. So
I guess I will just use those and tag bugs as 'cedet' as they come
along, so that we don't forget about them.

Thanks for the pointer,

@ 2012-10-13 19:21     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-13 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Engster wrote:

> cedet-devel. But I didn't know about usertags; I just read the relevant
> part in admin/notes/bugtracker, and it sounds pretty easy to handle. So
> I guess I will just use those and tag bugs as 'cedet' as they come
> along, so that we don't forget about them.

I think those notes are out-of-date in one area; the "user" does not
have to be an email address any more. So for the existing "official"
usertags we have used "emacs" rather than "bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org".
See

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=usertag;user=emacs

So you could for example use a "cedet" usertag for the "emacs" user.
Or a "cedet" user with whatever tags you like.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-13 19:30       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-13 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> David Engster wrote:
>
>> cedet-devel. But I didn't know about usertags; I just read the relevant
>> part in admin/notes/bugtracker, and it sounds pretty easy to handle. So
>> I guess I will just use those and tag bugs as 'cedet' as they come
>> along, so that we don't forget about them.
>
> I think those notes are out-of-date in one area; the "user" does not
> have to be an email address any more. So for the existing "official"
> usertags we have used "emacs" rather than "bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org".
> See
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=usertag;user=emacs
>
> So you could for example use a "cedet" usertag for the "emacs" user.
> Or a "cedet" user with whatever tags you like.

That's good to know and makes things easier. The only drawback is that
the debbugs package does not support usertags (it's possible, but not
implemented).

@ 2012-10-13 19:52         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-13 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: michael.albinus

David Engster wrote:

> That's good to know and makes things easier. The only drawback is that
> the debbugs package does not support usertags (it's possible, but not
> implemented).

Michael, any chance of adding usertags to the debbugs SOAP interface?

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-13 22:15   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-13 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Another option I should mention is that you can have a "cedet"
pseudo-package if you want. This is basically a package, but with no
maintainer email address. The existing examples are "ns" and "w32".
These have to be used in conjunction with the "emacs" package (it does
not make sense for something to just be in the "ns" package).
Personally, I think these don't add much value over eg simply putting
"ns" in the bug subject. Also, they make it harder to merge bugs.

But I know the usertag interface is not that well developed, so if you
want a pseudo-package, you can have one.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-14 10:30           ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-10-14 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> David Engster wrote:
>
>> That's good to know and makes things easier. The only drawback is that
>> the debbugs package does not support usertags (it's possible, but not
>> implemented).
>
> Michael, any chance of adding usertags to the debbugs SOAP interface?

It shouldn't be a problem to implement the "get_usertag" SOAP function;
I'll do next days.

The more interesting point is the integration into the user interface of
debbugs-gnu. In order to exploit usertags as intended, we must associate
them to a pseudo-user, like "cedet" or "tramp". Will we maintain a list
of "allowed" user tags, meaning an "emacs" subpackage like "cedet" for
"emacs"? And will we also support real user tags, associated to a user's
email address?

A disadvantage might be, that user tags are not shown in the result of
the SOAP function "get_status". This makes it harder to show them in the
result list. If we show them, it shall be optional (requested by the
user), in order to keep the performance.

Btw, shouldn't we mirror this discussion to the <help-debbugs@gnu.org>
mailing list?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-14 11:29     ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> Another option I should mention is that you can have a "cedet"
> pseudo-package if you want. This is basically a package, but with no
> maintainer email address. The existing examples are "ns" and "w32".
> These have to be used in conjunction with the "emacs" package (it does
> not make sense for something to just be in the "ns" package).
> Personally, I think these don't add much value over eg simply putting
> "ns" in the bug subject. Also, they make it harder to merge bugs.
>
> But I know the usertag interface is not that well developed, so if you
> want a pseudo-package, you can have one.

Thanks, but I think I like usertags better. They are more lightweight
and feel more natural to me than those pseudo-packages. Also, anyone
maintaining a package in Emacs can use them without any action on your
part. And as long as I can somehow get a list of bugs tagged as 'cedet'
(or by the user 'cedet' - I'm not sure yet what's better), the user
interface is fine for me.

@ 2012-10-14 19:10       ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-14 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Engster wrote:

> Thanks, but I think I like usertags better. They are more lightweight
> and feel more natural to me than those pseudo-packages. Also, anyone
> maintaining a package in Emacs can use them without any action on your
> part.

Good. I agree with you, I just wanted to point out your options.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-14 19:18             ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-14 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

> The more interesting point is the integration into the user interface of
> debbugs-gnu. In order to exploit usertags as intended, we must associate
> them to a pseudo-user, like "cedet" or "tramp". Will we maintain a list
> of "allowed" user tags, meaning an "emacs" subpackage like "cedet" for
> "emacs"? And will we also support real user tags, associated to a user's
> email address?

It's up to you as the implementor of course. Maybe you could have a list
of "standard" users/tags to offer completion over, but allow arbitrary
input as well.

If you can support the equivalent of this query:

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=users

people will be able to browse the users and their tags.

> A disadvantage might be, that user tags are not shown in the result of
> the SOAP function "get_status". This makes it harder to show them in the
> result list. If we show them, it shall be optional (requested by the
> user), in order to keep the performance.

I was just thinking about an explicit query of usertags, I don't think
you need to show them in the default search list.

> Btw, shouldn't we mirror this discussion to the <help-debbugs@gnu.org>
> mailing list?

It seems a bit late now...

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-15 15:33               ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-10-15 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

> If you can support the equivalent of this query:
>
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=users
>
> people will be able to browse the users and their tags.

Not possible exactly. The SOAP interface does not allow to check for
arbitrary user tags, it can only return user tags for a given user, and
bugs tagged by that user with such a user tag. See
<http://wiki.debian.org/DebbugsSoapInterface>.

I've written today a function `debbugs-get-usertag' with the following
docstring (it behaves a little bit different as the SOAP function
get_usertag):

| (debbugs-get-usertag USER &rest TAGS)
|
| Return a list of bug numbers which are tagged by USER.
|
| USER, a string, is either the email address of the user who has
| applied a user tag, or a pseudo-user like "emacs".
|
| TAGS is a list of strings applied as user tags.  The returning
| list is filtered for these tags.
|
| If TAGS is nil, no bug numbers will be returned but a list of
| existing tags for USER.
|
| Example:
|
|   (debbugs-get-usertag "emacs")
|
|   => ("www" "solaris" "ls-lisp" "cygwin")
|
|   (debbugs-get-usertag "emacs" "www" "cygwin")
|
|   => (807 1223 5637)

That might be sufficient to our needs; in general USER shall be either a
package name, or a user's email address.

If we really want to get a list of all existing user tags, we must
either extend the SOAP interface, or we must parse the output of
<http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/pkgindex.cgi?indexon=users>. Not my primary
choice.

> I was just thinking about an explicit query of usertags, I don't think
> you need to show them in the default search list.

OK. I'll add a respective command to debbugs-gnu.el. Likely tomorrow.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-15 16:03                 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-10-15 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus wrote:

> Not possible exactly. The SOAP interface does not allow to check for
> arbitrary user tags, it can only return user tags for a given user, and
> bugs tagged by that user with such a user tag. See
> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebbugsSoapInterface>.

OK; never mind. I think that as long as you can find bugs tagged by a
given user with a given usertag, that is fine. Anything more is just a
bonus.

> | (debbugs-get-usertag USER &rest TAGS)
> |
> | Return a list of bug numbers which are tagged by USER.
> |
> | USER, a string, is either the email address of the user who has
> | applied a user tag, or a pseudo-user like "emacs".
> |
> | TAGS is a list of strings applied as user tags.  The returning
> | list is filtered for these tags.
> |
> | If TAGS is nil, no bug numbers will be returned but a list of
> | existing tags for USER.

Sounds great, thank you!

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-16 18:15                   ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-16 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Michael Albinus, emacs-devel

Glenn Morris writes:
> Michael Albinus wrote:
>
>> Not possible exactly. The SOAP interface does not allow to check for
>> arbitrary user tags, it can only return user tags for a given user, and
>> bugs tagged by that user with such a user tag. See
>> <http://wiki.debian.org/DebbugsSoapInterface>.
>
> OK; never mind. I think that as long as you can find bugs tagged by a
> given user with a given usertag, that is fine. Anything more is just a
> bonus.

Agreed.  I will simply tag bugs as user 'emacs' with the tag 'cedet',
and as long as I can get a list of those bugs, I'm happy.  I see no
point in using another user like 'cedet' and making the tags more
fine-grained.  It's not like there are hundreds of CEDET bugs in the
tracker.

@ 2012-10-17 12:48                     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-10-17 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

> Agreed.  I will simply tag bugs as user 'emacs' with the tag 'cedet',
> and as long as I can get a list of those bugs, I'm happy.  I see no
> point in using another user like 'cedet' and making the tags more
> fine-grained.  It's not like there are hundreds of CEDET bugs in the
> tracker.

Well, I have committed a patch which extends `debbugs-gnu'. If you use
the special severity "tagged", you will be asked for user tags. Now you
can enter a tag like "cedet", and you will see all bugs tagged with this.

For my tests I have used the tags "msdos,www,solaris", because there is
no bug tagged with "cedet" yet :-)

This needs testing, feedback appreciated. I haven't increased debbugs'
version number yet, you must pull it from the elpa repository directly.
The package manager won't offer you the changes, because it believes you
are fine with version 0.3.

Further plans are support for the "usertag" control message, and a new
command showing you all user tags for a given user (aka package name).

> -David

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-18 19:28                       ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-18 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>> Agreed.  I will simply tag bugs as user 'emacs' with the tag 'cedet',
>> and as long as I can get a list of those bugs, I'm happy.  I see no
>> point in using another user like 'cedet' and making the tags more
>> fine-grained.  It's not like there are hundreds of CEDET bugs in the
>> tracker.
>
> Well, I have committed a patch which extends `debbugs-gnu'. If you use
> the special severity "tagged", you will be asked for user tags. Now you
> can enter a tag like "cedet", and you will see all bugs tagged with this.
>
> For my tests I have used the tags "msdos,www,solaris", because there is
> no bug tagged with "cedet" yet :-)

There is now. :-)

> This needs testing, feedback appreciated.

Works great. Thank you very much, Michael.

> I haven't increased debbugs' version number yet, you must pull it from
> the elpa repository directly.

After I found out how to do that... [1]

-David

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr/+bug/937101

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-18 19:38                         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-10-18 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:

>> This needs testing, feedback appreciated.
>
> Works great. Thank you very much, Michael.

You might also have seen, that I have committed today an enhancement for
control messages. If you have selected a bug, and you type "C", several
control messages for the selected bug will be offered. Try the "usertag"
message.

> -David

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker
@ 2012-10-18 19:49                           ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-18 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus writes:
> David Engster <deng@randomsample.de> writes:
>
>>> This needs testing, feedback appreciated.
>>
>> Works great. Thank you very much, Michael.
>
> You might also have seen, that I have committed today an enhancement for
> control messages. If you have selected a bug, and you type "C", several
> control messages for the selected bug will be offered. Try the "usertag"
> message.

Actually, I didn't see that. It works like a charm. Thanks again!

-David

* Debbugs user tags (was: CEDET package in Emacs bug tracker)
@ 2012-10-25  9:49                       ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-10-25  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Further plans are support for the "usertag" control message, and a new
> command showing you all user tags for a given user (aka package name).

That's also implemented now. Try "M-x debbugs-gnu-usertags". For more
details, see the commentary section of debbugs-gnu.el.

As usual, feedback appreciated.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Debbugs user tags
@ 2012-10-25 19:43                         ` David Engster
From: David Engster @ 2012-10-25 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: emacs-devel

Michael Albinus writes:
> Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Further plans are support for the "usertag" control message, and a new
>> command showing you all user tags for a given user (aka package name).
>
> That's also implemented now. Try "M-x debbugs-gnu-usertags". For more
> details, see the commentary section of debbugs-gnu.el.
>
> As usual, feedback appreciated.

Works great.

Sorry, that's all feedback I have. ;-)

-David