* Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-23 23:11 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2013-11-23 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

The good old news:

- Emacs has been ported to android (see Emacs -
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zielm.emacs)

The new bad news:

- The app does not work and the developer says he abondonded the work
one year ago.

However the code is of course available is someone is interested.

For vi-haters: I was looking for a way to edit .org files on Android.
Since Emacs does not work on Android (yet?) I tried vim-orgmode
instead. It did not work either (but vim did).

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-23 23:36 ` Rüdiger Sonderfeld
From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld @ 2013-11-23 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Lennart Borgman

On Sunday 24 November 2013 00:11:27 Lennart Borgman wrote:
> For vi-haters: I was looking for a way to edit .org files on Android.
> Since Emacs does not work on Android (yet?) I tried vim-orgmode
> instead. It did not work either (but vim did).

Maybe org-ehtml could help you.  It uses elnode to provide org editing via
web.  I hope this can be used to provide a more mobile friendly interface to
org and Emacs.  Of course having a local Emacs on Android to run org-ehtml
would be useful.

Regards,
Rüdiger

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-23 23:45   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2013-11-23 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rüdiger Sonderfeld; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Rüdiger Sonderfeld
<ruediger@c-plusplus.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 November 2013 00:11:27 Lennart Borgman wrote:
>> For vi-haters: I was looking for a way to edit .org files on Android.
>> Since Emacs does not work on Android (yet?) I tried vim-orgmode
>> instead. It did not work either (but vim did).
>
> Maybe org-ehtml could help you.  It uses elnode to provide org editing via
> web.  I hope this can be used to provide a more mobile friendly interface to
> org and Emacs.  Of course having a local Emacs on Android to run org-ehtml
> would be useful.

Thanks, nice idea, but unfortunately I think I need good editing
capabilities locally on my android phone for it to be really useful.
It has to be fast and easy to use.

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-24  2:56     ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2013-11-24  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 12:36 AM, Rüdiger Sonderfeld
> <ruediger@c-plusplus.de> wrote:
>> On Sunday 24 November 2013 00:11:27 Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>> For vi-haters: I was looking for a way to edit .org files on Android.
>>> Since Emacs does not work on Android (yet?) I tried vim-orgmode
>>> instead. It did not work either (but vim did).
>>
>> Maybe org-ehtml could help you.  It uses elnode to provide org editing via
>> web.  I hope this can be used to provide a more mobile friendly interface to
>> org and Emacs.  Of course having a local Emacs on Android to run org-ehtml
>> would be useful.
>
> Thanks, nice idea, but unfortunately I think I need good editing
> capabilities locally on my android phone for it to be really useful.
> It has to be fast and easy to use.

May be you can do like this:
1. root your device
2. install android app: linux on android
3. install a linux: (I use debian)
4. install emacs24 in linux choot
5. install a simple till window  manager in linux, I use ratpoison, and add a keybinding for emacs
6. NOTE "linux on android" will launch a vnc daemon
7. Install android app: bVNC, (bVNC have Ctrl Alt and ESC ,very useful)
8. you can install a keyboard app: messagease
9. config others ...

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-24 11:07       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2013-11-24 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:56 AM, Feng Shu <tumashu@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Thanks, nice idea, but unfortunately I think I need good editing
>> capabilities locally on my android phone for it to be really useful.
>> It has to be fast and easy to use.
>
> May be you can do like this:
> 1. root your device

Thanks Feng, but I can run other editors on Android without root. ;-)

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-25  3:33         ` Jay Belanger
From: Jay Belanger @ 2013-11-25  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel; +Cc: jay.p.belanger

>>> Thanks, nice idea, but unfortunately I think I need good editing
>>> capabilities locally on my android phone for it to be really useful.
>>> It has to be fast and easy to use.
>>
>> May be you can do like this:
>> 1. root your device
>
> Thanks Feng, but I can run other editors on Android without root. ;-)

GNURoot (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot)
almost does what Feng suggested, but without root.  It isn't as direct as
a native Emacs and you'd have to run it without X, though.

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-25  4:34           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2013-11-25  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

Oh,I could start vi! ;-)

How do I install Emacs?
Can I access my files on dropbox, Google drive, etc?

@ 2013-11-25  4:37             ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2013-11-25  4:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jay.p.belanger; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On Nov 25, 2013 5:34 AM, "Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Oh,I could start vi! ;-)
>
> How do I install Emacs?
> Can I access my files on dropbox, Google drive, etc?

Unfortunately I had to uninstall it all to be able to send this reply. So I
guess I have to wait a while until I can test again. ;-)

I saw a comment that moving more to the sd card was planned.

@ 2013-11-25  4:38           ` Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2013-11-25  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Jay Belanger <jay.p.belanger@gmail.com> writes:

>>> May be you can do like this:
>>> 1. root your device
>>
>> Thanks Feng, but I can run other editors on Android without root. ;-)
>
> GNURoot (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=champion.gnuroot)almost does what Feng suggested, but without root.  It isn't as direct as
> a native Emacs and you'd have to run it without X, though.

I don't know GNURoot, If it can run sshd,  we can use this approach:

1. GNUROOT
2. sshd
3. JuiceSSH or Connectbot

I use a rooted device and find that using bVnc is more convenience than
JuiceSSH ...

* Re: Emacs on Android
@ 2013-11-26 17:51 ` chad
From: chad @ 2013-11-26 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

On 23 Nov 2013, at 15:11, Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> For vi-haters: I was looking for a way to edit .org files on Android.
> Since Emacs does not work on Android (yet?) I tried vim-orgmode
> instead. It did not work either (but vim did).

This doesn't help with the laudable emacs-on-android goal, but you
might be interested in MobileOrg.

	https://github.com/matburt/mobileorg-android/wiki

~Chad

* Re: Emacs on Android