* Re: Feature request: share search ring amongst emacses
       [not found] <874rg0h5sr.fsf@jidanni.org>
@ 2002-06-20 14:33 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2002-06-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Why are you using two separate Emacses?
If there is a good reason and that is really necessary for you,
maybe we can do something to correct the underlying problem
so you can use just one.

* Re: Feature request: share search ring amongst emacses
@ 2002-06-20 15:01   ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-06-20 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jidanni, emacs-devel

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> If there is a good reason and that is really necessary for you,
> maybe we can do something to correct the underlying problem
> so you can use just one.

I can't answer for the OP, but many people seem to do this.  The main
reason I hear is to run Gnus in one and do editing etc in others.  Of
course, having Elisp support threads and making the Emacs UI threaded
would solve this, although that is probably non-trivial.

* Re: Feature request: share search ring amongst emacses
@ 2002-06-21 14:14   ` Mario Lang
From: Mario Lang @ 2002-06-21 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> Why are you using two separate Emacses?

I am not the Original poster, but I too use two instaces of Emacs.

One runs a normal emacs with Gnus, the other runs emacspeak.

This is because emacspeak modifies alot of the emacs functions,
and some of those modifications affect the way emacs behaves normally.
As I only use speech partly, and braille for the rest, it made
alot of sense to have two emacsen running.

Also, as was already said, some people like to use
Gnus in a separate Emacs to avoid blocking when
fetching news e.g.

> If there is a good reason and that is really necessary for you,
> maybe we can do something to correct the underlying problem
> so you can use just one.
I think only if emacs had  a real threading system,
those problems could be solve (related to Gnus usable). Mine
wouldnt be solve that way, so it seems there are
really good reasons to have more than one emacs running.

(and a shared history would be nice!)

In addition to history, one thing I always wanted
was the ability to kill something into another emacs.

Yes, I know; x-clipboard handles this nice; but as a screen/console only user,
this doesn't really help.

--
CYa,
  Mario

* Re: Feature request: share search ring amongst emacses
@ 2002-06-21 16:04     ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2002-06-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Mario Lang <mlang@delysid.org> writes:

|> (and a shared history would be nice!)
|>
|> In addition to history, one thing I always wanted
|> was the ability to kill something into another emacs.

Maybe gnuserv can be modified to handle this.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg