* [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-28 14:14 Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2018-05-28 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Hi!

Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.

For more information on Emacs, see:
  http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs

You can retrieve the source from your nearest GNU mirror by using one
of the following links:
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz
  http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz

You can get the PGP signatures at
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz.sig
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz.sig

You can choose a mirror explicitly from the list at:
  http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html

Mirrors may take some time to update; the main GNU ftp server is at:
  http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/

Highlights of this release include:

  - Limited form of concurrency with Lisp threads

  - Support for optional display of line numbers in the buffer

  - Emacs now uses double buffering to reduce flicker on the X Window
    System

  - Flymake has been completely redesigned

  - TRAMP has a new connection method for Google Drive

  - New single-line horizontal scrolling mode

  - A systemd user unit file is provided

  - Support for 24-bit colors on capable text terminals

There are many more changes; for a summary see the etc/NEWS file,
which you can view from Emacs with `C-h n'.

For the complete list of changes and the people who made them, see the
various ChangeLog files in the source distribution.  For a summary
of all the people who have contributed to Emacs, see the etc/AUTHORS
file.

Printed copies of the Emacs manual are available for purchase from the
Free Software Foundation's online store at:
http://shop.fsf.org/product/emacs-manual/

Regards,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-28 14:38 ` Tino Calancha
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tino Calancha @ 2018-05-28 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.
Thank you Nico (and Emacs team)
Good job!

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-30 12:47 ` Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
From: Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙) @ 2018-05-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,

In Article <87lgc3j29t.fsf@petton.fr>,
 Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.
>
> For more information on Emacs, see:
>   http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs
>
> You can retrieve the source from your nearest GNU mirror by using one
> of the following links:
>   http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz
>   http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz
>
> You can get the PGP signatures at
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.xz.sig
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-26.1.tar.gz.sig
>
> You can choose a mirror explicitly from the list at:
>   http://www.gnu.org/prep/ftp.html
>
> Mirrors may take some time to update; the main GNU ftp server is at:
>   http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
>
> Highlights of this release include:
>
>   - Limited form of concurrency with Lisp threads
>
>   - Support for optional display of line numbers in the buffer
>
>   - Emacs now uses double buffering to reduce flicker on the X Window
>     System
>
>   - Flymake has been completely redesigned
>
>   - TRAMP has a new connection method for Google Drive
>
>   - New single-line horizontal scrolling mode
>
>   - A systemd user unit file is provided
>
>   - Support for 24-bit colors on capable text terminals
>
> There are many more changes; for a summary see the etc/NEWS file,
> which you can view from Emacs with `C-h n'.
>
> For the complete list of changes and the people who made them, see the
> various ChangeLog files in the source distribution.  For a summary
> of all the people who have contributed to Emacs, see the etc/AUTHORS
> file.
>
> Printed copies of the Emacs manual are available for purchase from the
> Free Software Foundation's online store at:
> http://shop.fsf.org/product/emacs-manual/

I like this version, 26.1, thanks for many work!!!

Sincerely, Byung-Hee.

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-30 21:02 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2018-05-30 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Windows binaries are now available on alpha.

https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

If people with access to Windows could do some basic sanity testing, and
I will promote them the main site in a few days.

Phil

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-05-30 21:51 ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2018-05-30 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Petton; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Mon, 28 May 2018, Nicolas Petton wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.

I tried configuring this new Emacs like

./configure '--with-xwidgets'

on a somewhat old (but still supported) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release but
encounter this error:

configure:12632: checking for WEBKIT
configure:12639: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$WEBKIT_MODULES"
Package webkit2gtk-4.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `webkit2gtk-4.0.pc'
No package 'webkit2gtk-4.0' found

There was no mention in the release notes that versions still in heavy
use were being abandoned and that Emacs could only be built on
brand-new Linux releases.

This system comes with libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev.  It is prohibitive to
attempt to install anything newer since the whole software stack would
need to be replaced.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-30 23:20   ` Tak Kunihiro
       [not found]     ` <d128f41704af0d075e5a8c04b7d8f9e8.squirrel@cloud103.planethippo.com>
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2018-05-30 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: tkk, Emacs Devel

I think, following one with deps would be useful too.

 emacs-26.1-x86_64.zip

Could you upload it too?

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31  8:40   ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2018-05-31  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> On Mon, 28 May 2018, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.
>
> I tried configuring this new Emacs like
>
> ./configure '--with-xwidgets'
>
> on a somewhat old (but still supported) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release but
> encounter this error:
>
> configure:12632: checking for WEBKIT
> configure:12639: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$WEBKIT_MODULES"
> Package webkit2gtk-4.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `webkit2gtk-4.0.pc'
> No package 'webkit2gtk-4.0' found
>
> There was no mention in the release notes that versions still in heavy
> use were being abandoned and that Emacs could only be built on
> brand-new Linux releases.

Thatʼs a somewhat unfair statement: emacs 26 works fine on Ubuntu
14.04 as far as I know, itʼs just the xwidgets support that doesnʼt,
so in no way is there any 'abandonment' going on.

The change should perhaps have been mentioned in NEWS, but I believe
xwidgets is still classed as experimental, so perhaps not.

> This system comes with libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev.  It is prohibitive to
> attempt to install anything newer since the whole software stack would
> need to be replaced.

Emacs moved to the WebKit2 API in October of 2016. Iʼm assuming there
were good reasons for not trying to support the older API as well. Iʼm
also assuming there were good reasons for nobody running Ubuntu 14.04
to attempt to build emacs with xwidget support since then.

Robert

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31  9:11     ` joakim
From: joakim @ 2018-05-31  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 28 May 2018, Nicolas Petton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.
>>
>> I tried configuring this new Emacs like
>>
>> ./configure '--with-xwidgets'
>>
>> on a somewhat old (but still supported) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release but
>> encounter this error:
>>
>> configure:12632: checking for WEBKIT
>> configure:12639: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$WEBKIT_MODULES"
>> Package webkit2gtk-4.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `webkit2gtk-4.0.pc'
>> to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>> No package 'webkit2gtk-4.0' found
>>
>> There was no mention in the release notes that versions still in heavy
>> use were being abandoned and that Emacs could only be built on
>> brand-new Linux releases.
>
> Thatʼs a somewhat unfair statement: emacs 26 works fine on Ubuntu
> 14.04 as far as I know, itʼs just the xwidgets support that doesnʼt,
> so in no way is there any 'abandonment' going on.
>
> The change should perhaps have been mentioned in NEWS, but I believe
> xwidgets is still classed as experimental, so perhaps not.
>
>> This system comes with libwebkitgtk-3.0-dev.  It is prohibitive to
>> attempt to install anything newer since the whole software stack would
>> need to be replaced.
>
> Emacs moved to the WebKit2 API in October of 2016. Iʼm assuming there
> were good reasons for not trying to support the older API as well. Iʼm
> also assuming there were good reasons for nobody running Ubuntu 14.04
> to attempt to build emacs with xwidget support since then.

Initially there was an attempt to support both gtk2 and gtk3, but it was
difficult, so the gtk2 support was abandoned. It is not impossible in
principle though, just not doable with the existing resources. Also, the
state of emacs webkit support should not reflect badly on the rest of emacs.

--
Joakim Verona
joakim@verona.se

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 13:07     ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2018-05-31 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Nicolas Petton, Emacs Devel

On Thu, 31 May 2018, Robert Pluim wrote:

> Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:
>>>
>>> Version 26.1 of the Emacs text editor is now available.
>>
>> I tried configuring this new Emacs like
>>
>> ./configure '--with-xwidgets'
>>
>> on a somewhat old (but still supported) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release but
>> encounter this error:
>>
>> configure:12632: checking for WEBKIT
>> configure:12639: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$WEBKIT_MODULES"
>> Package webkit2gtk-4.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
>> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `webkit2gtk-4.0.pc'
>> to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
>> No package 'webkit2gtk-4.0' found
>>
>> There was no mention in the release notes that versions still in heavy
>> use were being abandoned and that Emacs could only be built on
>> brand-new Linux releases.
>
> Thatʼs a somewhat unfair statement: emacs 26 works fine on Ubuntu
> 14.04 as far as I know, itʼs just the xwidgets support that doesnʼt,
> so in no way is there any 'abandonment' going on.
>
> The change should perhaps have been mentioned in NEWS, but I believe
> xwidgets is still classed as experimental, so perhaps not.

I removed the 'xwidgets' request and then emacs compiles and runs
fine.  This is good since I must use this Ubuntu version for the
moment.

The hard configure error which does not indicate to the user what
corrective action should be taken (other than looking in config.log)
is not good.

If there are specific package versions required, then they should be
listed in the installation documentation.

Bob
--

@ 2018-05-31 15:16       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-31 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: rpluim, nicolas, emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
> Cc: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> If there are specific package versions required, then they should be
> listed in the installation documentation.

That'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure we have the resources to
provide an accurate list and keep it up to date.  All the other
projects I've built never provide such info, you have to "discover"
that by building and getting error messages that tell you what minimal
version is required.

But if someone wants to arrange such a list (in INSTALL, I think?), it
would be very welcome.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 15:34         ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2018-05-31 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 31 May 2018, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 08:07:01 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
>> Cc: Nicolas Petton <nicolas@petton.fr>, Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>>
>> If there are specific package versions required, then they should be
>> listed in the installation documentation.
>
> That'd be nice to have, but I'm not sure we have the resources to
> provide an accurate list and keep it up to date.  All the other
> projects I've built never provide such info, you have to "discover"
> that by building and getting error messages that tell you what minimal
> version is required.
>
> But if someone wants to arrange such a list (in INSTALL, I think?), it
> would be very welcome.

Developers should be cognizant of the packages they are requiring to
be used.

It would be very helpful if configure specified what it is
specifically looking for, and includes what it needs in the error
message.

It seems that the new emacs silently quit last night while the screen
was locked.  I may need to retreat to the previous release (25.3).

Something else I notice is that when I open a file which is in a
Mercurial repository, the /usr/bin/hg program crashes and I get an
Ubuntu crash report.  The Ubuntu crash report screen does not allow me
to copy text from it, but the command executed which crashed starts
with '/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hg log -r . -l1 -template ...'.  This
does not happen with emacs-25.3.  The crash is due to use of a None
value.  The version of Mercurial provided by this Ubuntu release is
2.8.2.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 15:45           ` Yuri Khan
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Yuri Khan @ 2018-05-31 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bfriesen; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, Emacs developers

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:35 PM Bob Friesenhahn
<bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

> Developers should be cognizant of the packages they are requiring to
> be used.

It’s not so easy. A library can be packaged under one name in Debian
and a slightly different name in Red Hat, or distributed as one vs.
multiple packages, or carried by one distribution but not the other.
So, the error message that lists a missing library or header is pretty
much the best you can get without delving into those differences.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 15:54           ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2018-05-31 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

> It would be very helpful if configure specified what it is
> specifically looking for, and includes what it needs in the error
> message.

For Debian-based OS-es, the easiest way to build and run Emacs is:

sudo apt-get build-dep emacs24
git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
cd emacs
make
./src/emacs &

It'll pull inn all libraries you need.  Perhaps we should just make a
note of that in a file like README.DEBIANISH?

(The "emacs24" may be "emacs25" on very fresh OS-es.)

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 16:04           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-05-31 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 31 May 2018 10:34:39 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Developers should be cognizant of the packages they are requiring to
> be used.

We are -- for about 5 seconds after we modify configure.ac to require
a specific version of a certain package.  Thereafter, the required
versions are recorded in configury, and nowhere else.  For example:

  WEBKIT_REQUIRED=2.12
  WEBKIT_MODULES="webkit2gtk-4.0 >= $WEBKIT_REQUIRED"

This is quite self-explanatory, right?

The problem is to collect all these requirements, express them in
human-readable form, and then keep that up-to-date whenever the
configury changes.  That's a non-trivial manual work.

Btw, the info you are looking for is generally available on the
Internet.  I like to use http://www.linuxfromscratch.org in such
cases, in particular see

  http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/postlfs/emacs.html

(It still doesn't show Emacs 26, but it probably will soon.)

> It would be very helpful if configure specified what it is
> specifically looking for, and includes what it needs in the error
> message.

It does.  In your case, it didn't find the package-config file for the
relevant version, so it only could tell you that webkit2gtk-4.0 is not
installed.  Once you install it, if its version is older than the one
required, you'd see a message saying it looked for version X.Y.Z, but
didn't find it.

> It seems that the new emacs silently quit last night while the screen
> was locked.  I may need to retreat to the previous release (25.3).

I suggest to look in the system message log to see what happened.  If
it crashed, please consider submitting a bug report.

> Something else I notice is that when I open a file which is in a
> Mercurial repository, the /usr/bin/hg program crashes and I get an
> Ubuntu crash report.  The Ubuntu crash report screen does not allow me
> to copy text from it, but the command executed which crashed starts
> with '/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hg log -r . -l1 -template ...'.  This
> does not happen with emacs-25.3.  The crash is due to use of a None
> value.  The version of Mercurial provided by this Ubuntu release is
> 2.8.2.

Please submit a separate bug report using "M-x report-emacs-bug", and
please include in the report the relevant details, such as the hg
command issued by Emacs and the Python backtrace.

Thanks.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-05-31 16:09             ` Bob Friesenhahn
From: Bob Friesenhahn @ 2018-05-31 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Thu, 31 May 2018, Yuri Khan wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:35 PM Bob Friesenhahn
> <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:
>
>> Developers should be cognizant of the packages they are requiring to
>> be used.
>
> It’s not so easy. A library can be packaged under one name in Debian
> and a slightly different name in Red Hat, or distributed as one vs.
> multiple packages, or carried by one distribution but not the other.
> So, the error message that lists a missing library or header is pretty
> much the best you can get without delving into those differences.

The task of maintaining a configure script is definitely not easy.
The benefits of making the configure script as user-friendly as
possible is that then more users are using the latest version rather
than a stale version provided by their operating system distribution.

In this case the configure.ac developer explicitly entered a
pkg-config package name (including its major version) and so it was a
developer decision to produce a specific pkg-config package name but
used an indistinct generic meaningless name ("WEBKIT") in configure
output that the user sees, as well as the terminal error message.

The project is able to maintain 1.1 million lines of lisp code and
293k lines of ANSI C code which are presumably mostly correct, so it
should be possible to suitably maintain the 5k lines of configure.ac
code as so that ordinary end users are able to compile emacs as well.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us, http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/

* Python stack with vc and hg on 26.1 (was [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released)
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-06-01  2:58           ` Mike Kupfer
From: Mike Kupfer @ 2018-06-01  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Something else I notice is that when I open a file which is in a
> Mercurial repository, the /usr/bin/hg program crashes and I get an
> Ubuntu crash report.  The Ubuntu crash report screen does not allow me
> to copy text from it, but the command executed which crashed starts
> with '/usr/bin/python /usr/bin/hg log -r . -l1 -template ...'.  This
> does not happen with emacs-25.3.  The crash is due to use of a None
> value.  The version of Mercurial provided by this Ubuntu release is
> 2.8.2.

I hit something like that on Oracle Linux 7.  Here's my workaround:

  (setq vc-hg-symbolic-revision-styles nil)

mike

* glitchy gotcha message (Was: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released)
@ 2018-06-01  6:55             ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2018-06-01  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel

> Lars Ingebrigtsen writes:
>
> Bob Friesenhahn writes:
>
>> It would be very helpful if configure specified what it is
>> specifically looking for, and includes what it needs in the error
>> message.
>
> For Debian-based OS-es, the easiest way to build and run Emacs is:
>
> sudo apt-get build-dep emacs25
> git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs.git
> cd emacs
> make
> ./src/emacs &

Having the following configure switch defaults will lessen those messages.

    --with-mailutils \
    --with-x-toolkit=lucid

#+NAME: Emacs-Daemon-Start
#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
  $ emacs --color=no --daemon

  Warning: due to a long standing Gtk+ bug
  https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtk/issues/221
  Emacs might crash when run in daemon mode and the X11 connection is unexpectedly lost.
  Using an Emacs configured with --with-x-toolkit=lucid does not have this problem.
  Starting Emacs daemon.
#+END_EXAMPLE

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
  (emacs-version)

#+END_SRC

#+RESULTS:
: GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 4, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.11)
:  of 2018-06-01

@ 2018-06-01  7:29       ` Tak Kunihiro
From: Tak Kunihiro @ 2018-06-01  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-Devel devel, Phillip Lord; +Cc: tkk

>> I think, following one with deps would be useful too.
>> emacs-26.1-x86_64.zip
>> Could you upload it too?
>
> Done!

Thank you. I tested emacs-26.1-x86_64 with depos for 12 hours and see no
problem.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-06-01  8:48   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-06-01  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Friesenhahn; +Cc: nicolas, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 16:51:37 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us>
> Cc: Emacs Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> ./configure '--with-xwidgets'
>
> on a somewhat old (but still supported) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS release but
> encounter this error:
>
> configure:12632: checking for WEBKIT
> configure:12639: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "$WEBKIT_MODULES"
> Package webkit2gtk-4.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `webkit2gtk-4.0.pc'
> No package 'webkit2gtk-4.0' found
>
> There was no mention in the release notes that versions still in heavy
> use were being abandoned and that Emacs could only be built on
> brand-new Linux releases.

I've now (belatedly) added the notice about this change to NEWS, which
will show in Emacs 26.2.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 26.1 released
@ 2018-06-06 14:48       ` Joshua Branson
From: Joshua Branson @ 2018-06-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Bob Friesenhahn <bfriesen@simple.dallas.tx.us> writes:

Also this release is awesome!  Thanks for the hard work guys!