* Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 12:32 Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-04-23 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: schwab

Hi,

Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?

Few weeks ago, I forwarded a patch adding powerpc64 support
for Emacs 21.4 and I'd like to know whether the problem has
been worked on already in the upcoming 22.1.

Andreas, is SuSE already working on the powerpc64 port?

Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 14:52 ` Denis Bueno
From: Denis Bueno @ 2005-04-23 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On 4/23/05, Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant [at] free.fr> wrote:
> Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?

I've had my G5 (Dual 2.5) for many months, and Emacs has worked on it
for as log as I can remember. Every time I update CVS, I run:

  ./configure --without-x --enable-carbon-app && make bootstrap

-Denis
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?search=0xA1B51B4B&op=index

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 14:55   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-04-23 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Denis Bueno <dbueno@gmail.com> writes:

> On 4/23/05, Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant [at] free.fr> wrote:
>> Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?
>
> I've had my G5 (Dual 2.5) for many months, and Emacs has worked on it
> for as log as I can remember. Every time I update CVS, I run:
>
>   ./configure --without-x --enable-carbon-app && make bootstrap

Err, sorry I should have mentioned GNU/Linux systems. This is what I am
interested in.

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Marant

http://marant.org

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 16:03 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-04-23 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> writes:

> Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?

There were only a few configuration bits missing.  Current CVS is working
now.

Andreas.

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 16:58   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-04-23 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?
>
> There were only a few configuration bits missing.  Current CVS is working
> now.

Great. Thanks!

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-23 17:37   ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-04-23 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> Jérôme Marant <jerome.marant@free.fr> writes:
>
>> Does Emacs CVS works on powerpc64 (G5 processors)?
>
> There were only a few configuration bits missing.  Current CVS is working
> now.

Hmm, one question though: why isn't it necessary to redefine constants
like BITS_PER_LONG, BITS_PER_EMACS_INT, EMACS_INT and so on, as done in
the (for instance) AMD64 port file?

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-24  4:28     ` Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 2005-04-24  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

On Apr 23, 2005, at 13:37, Jérôme Marant wrote:
> Hmm, one question though: why isn't it necessary to redefine constants
> like BITS_PER_LONG, BITS_PER_EMACS_INT, EMACS_INT and so on, as done in
> the (for instance) AMD64 port file?

I don't think it's actually needed in the AMD64 port either.  The way
these get defined should work properly on any 64-bit system that
defines _LP64.

Somewhere I've got a source tree (from before I got hosed with work and
stopped being able to contribute) where one of my few pending patches
was the deletion of some of these symbols from the AMD support, like I
did for the Alpha in, oh, wow, was it back in 2002?  But I didn't get
to test out or check in the AMD changes...  Maybe soon, now that I've
got access to an AMD x86_64 system, and some amount of spare time, I
can fix that, and contribute a little more as well.

Ken

* Re: Emacs for powerpc64
@ 2005-04-24 12:12       ` Jérôme Marant
From: Jérôme Marant @ 2005-04-24 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Andreas Schwab, emacs-devel

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@raeburn.org> writes:

> On Apr 23, 2005, at 13:37, Jérôme Marant wrote:
>> Hmm, one question though: why isn't it necessary to redefine constants
>> like BITS_PER_LONG, BITS_PER_EMACS_INT, EMACS_INT and so on, as done in
>> the (for instance) AMD64 port file?
>
> I don't think it's actually needed in the AMD64 port either.  The way
> these get defined should work properly on any 64-bit system that
> defines _LP64.

Ah, OK.

> Somewhere I've got a source tree (from before I got hosed with work
> and stopped being able to contribute) where one of my few pending
> patches was the deletion of some of these symbols from the AMD
> support, like I did for the Alpha in, oh, wow, was it back in 2002?
> But I didn't get to test out or check in the AMD changes...  Maybe
> soon, now that I've got access to an AMD x86_64 system, and some
> amount of spare time, I can fix that, and contribute a little more as
> well.

Thanks.

--
Jérôme Marant