From: Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com>
To: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>,
	Emacs Development <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Why does Gnus article-moving act like a fetch of new news?
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 22:27:24 -0500	[thread overview]

On 13 Apr 2021, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>With your patch, can you confirm that it's enough (after the
>article is moved) to put point on the moved-to group and run M-g?
>That should mimic the current behavior, and let you find the
>moved article correctly.

It works as you expected: after I run M-g, the moved article is
present in the destination group.  And as before, the article is
marked as unread in the destination group, no matter whether it
was read or unread in the group it departed from.

Note that `M-g' (`gnus-group-get-new-news-this-group') seems to
have the same effect that just `g' (`gnus-group-get-new-news')
would have: Gnus fetches mail from all the mail sources I have
defined (it's configured to collect from several different
servers).

But I don't know what other choice Gnus would have, really.  After
all, it can't know what mail would be filtered into the specific
group point was on when I typed `M-g'.  Gnus has to fetch *all*
mail and run it through `nnmail-split-methods`, which in my case
points to a gigantic `nnmail-split-fancy' expression, before
knowing what messages will land in what groups.

>Anyway, I don't see a good solution to your problem, except for
>maybe my earliest suggestion: that get-new-news not run the hooks
>if DONT-SCAN is t. But now I'm not even confident that that
>behavior would be correct...

Well, if Gnus is going to fetch new news, then it should
definitely run `gnus-get-new-news-hook'.

The question is: why does it have to fetch new news?  Gnus should
be able to tell a group "update yourself based on all the news
currently in place, including some new stuff that I just placed in
you that you might not be aware of yet", without that implying
contacting upstream news sources.

But I don't know the code well enough to know what to invoke such
that that boundary would be honored.

Best regards,
-Karl