* Emacs 22.3 build problem
@ 2012-12-14 21:44 Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-14 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm trying to rebuild Emacs 22.3 for testing, but the Makefiles produced
by configure are giving me grief: most (but not all) continuation lines
have been losing the "\" at the end of line, so make thinks the
following lines are commands.  I've been joining those lines in one
Makefile to see if it works and that eems to be the only problem so far,
however I'd need to do that in all subdirectories.  Does that error ring
a bell with someone and does it have an easier fix than editing all
Makefiles by hand?

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs 22.3 build problem
@ 2012-12-14 21:52 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2012-12-14 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 12/14/12 13:44, Achim Gratz wrote:

> Does that error ring a bell with someone

Yes, see:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/12479/configure-not-adding-line-continuation-characters-to-makefile

> does it have an easier fix

Probably, but I don't know of one.  Most likely it's
a problem with your 'sed', or with your shell, and perhaps
if you switch 'sed' or shell implementations and
do a fresh 'configure' the problem will go away.

* Re: Emacs 22.3 build problem
@ 2012-12-14 22:04 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2012-12-14 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Achim Gratz; +Cc: emacs-devel

Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:

> I'm trying to rebuild Emacs 22.3 for testing, but the Makefiles produced
> by configure are giving me grief: most (but not all) continuation lines
> have been losing the "\" at the end of line, so make thinks the
> following lines are commands.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=commit;h=16abbbf

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, schwab@linux-m68k.org

* Re: Emacs 22.3 build problem
@ 2012-12-15  9:58   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-15  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Paul Eggert writes:
> Most likely it's a problem with your 'sed', or with your shell, and
> perhaps if you switch 'sed' or shell implementations and do a fresh
> 'configure' the problem will go away.

That would be very bad news:

emacs> bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.2.24(1)-release (i586-suse-linux-gnu)

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
emacs> sed --version
GNU sed version 4.2.1
warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE,
to the extent permitted by law.

GNU sed home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/sed/>.
General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/>.
E-mail bug reports to: <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>.
Be sure to include the word ``sed'' somewhere in the ``Subject:'' field.

But luckily, it's just the missing '-P' switch to cpp with a version
larger than 4.4.2, so that's easy to fix.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs 22.3 build problem
@ 2012-12-15  9:58   ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-15  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Andreas Schwab writes:
> Achim Gratz <Stromeko@nexgo.de> writes:
>
>> I'm trying to rebuild Emacs 22.3 for testing, but the Makefiles produced
>> by configure are giving me grief: most (but not all) continuation lines
>> have been losing the "\" at the end of line, so make thinks the
>> following lines are commands.
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=emacs.git;a=commit;h=16abbbf

Thank you, that works.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs 23.4 rebuild (was: Emacs 22.3 build problem)
@ 2012-12-16  8:07     ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2012-12-16  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm now having a problem with 23.4 (or any 23 version really): these
compile without a hitch, but when I try to use them to build a recent
Org with, the byte-compiler infloops on certain files, but _only_ when
run in batch-mode.  That's right, if I start up the same Emacs and load
up the same file, I can byte-compile it without any problem.  The files
this is happening with directly or indirectly require gnus-sum, which is
where it hangs in.  I have no idea how to further debug this and I#d
appreciate some help or hints.

I didn't have these problems of course when I was still using the
23.3. version supplied with openSUSE 12.1, I have looked at how this
version was built and I don't see any notable differences except the gcc
version.

Regards,
Achim.

* Re: Emacs 23.4 rebuild
@ 2013-01-05 15:22       ` Achim Gratz
From: Achim Gratz @ 2013-01-05 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Achim Gratz writes:
> I'm now having a problem with 23.4 (or any 23 version really): these
> compile without a hitch, but when I try to use them to build a recent
> Org with, the byte-compiler infloops on certain files, but _only_ when
> run in batch-mode.

It turns out that this was caused by a known bug in Emacs 23.4 that
makes it search site-lisp/ even when it's been told not to.  For
whatever reason it found idna.el in site-lisp and then tried to do
something with it that made the batch Emacs wait indefinitely for a
signal.  I'm not sure why the CPU is maxed out, maybe a spinlock.

Regards,
Achim.