* Ok to set a face on `mode-name' for so-long-mode?
@ 2021-09-06  9:09 Phil Sainty
From: Phil Sainty @ 2021-09-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'd quite like to make the following change to lisp/so-long.el:

  ;;;###autoload
-(define-derived-mode so-long-mode nil "So Long"
+(define-derived-mode so-long-mode nil
+  (propertize "So Long" 'face 'so-long-mode-line-active)
    "This major mode is the default `so-long-action' option.

(`so-long-mode-line-active' simply inherits from `mode-line-emphasis'
by default.)

It will make the face consistent with that applied to
`so-long-mode-line-label' (by `so-long-mode-line-info') when other
(non-major-mode) actions are active.

In testing the change seems fine.  Is there any reason not to do this?

I think I'd initially felt that I shouldn't be messing with the face
for the something as standard as the major mode name; but on account
of having made the `so-long-mode-line-active' face rather high-contrast
in my own config, it now seems like a flaw that `mode-name' isn't using
that face.

I note that the new mode-name for `emacs-lisp-mode' sets a face for
the dynamic-binding flag "/d" if that's active, so there's at least
one example of something similar.

-Phil

* Re: Ok to set a face on `mode-name' for so-long-mode?
@ 2021-09-08  7:13 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2021-09-08  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phil Sainty; +Cc: emacs-devel

Phil Sainty <psainty@orcon.net.nz> writes:

> I'd quite like to make the following change to lisp/so-long.el:
>
>  ;;;###autoload
> -(define-derived-mode so-long-mode nil "So Long"
> +(define-derived-mode so-long-mode nil
> +  (propertize "So Long" 'face 'so-long-mode-line-active)
>    "This major mode is the default `so-long-action' option.
>
> (`so-long-mode-line-active' simply inherits from `mode-line-emphasis'
> by default.)

I think that'd be fine -- so-long-mode is pretty special, so drawing
some more attention to it is perhaps useful.