* Overlay modification-hooks no longer running after 564d811725 (under certain configurations)
@ 2015-12-10 23:52 Mitchel Humpherys
From: Mitchel Humpherys @ 2015-12-10 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii

Hello,

I noticed recently that iedit [1] stopped working on the emacs-25 and
master branches.  I finally got around to git bisect'ing it today and
found that the breaking commit is:

    commit 564d811725596f15ecf543777e11504b47d2af86
    Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
    Date:   Fri Nov 6 17:19:39 2015 +0200

        Don't invoke overlay modification hooks in wrong buffer

The relevant iedit code seems to be:

    (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-in-front-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
    (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-behind-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
    (overlay-put occurrence 'modification-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))

(from [2]).  If I revert the commit above on the emacs-25 tip (or
checkout that commit's parent), the hook does run and iedit works as
expected.

I apologize for not filing a bug, but I don't have an `emacs -Q' recipe,
so there must be some other interaction with my config going on, which I
haven't tracked down...  It's also possible that iedit is incorrectly
relying on some broken behavior.

I was hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on here.  If
not, I'll continue pursuing a smaller repro recipe.

[1] https://github.com/victorhge/iedit
[2] https://github.com/victorhge/iedit/blob/master/iedit-lib.el#L287

--
Mitch

* Re: Overlay modification-hooks no longer running after 564d811725 (under certain configurations)
@ 2015-12-11  7:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2015-12-11  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mitchel Humpherys; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Mitchel Humpherys <mitch.special@gmail.com>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:52:34 -0800
>
> I noticed recently that iedit [1] stopped working on the emacs-25 and
> master branches.  I finally got around to git bisect'ing it today and
> found that the breaking commit is:
>
>     commit 564d811725596f15ecf543777e11504b47d2af86
>     Author: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>     Date:   Fri Nov 6 17:19:39 2015 +0200
>
>         Don't invoke overlay modification hooks in wrong buffer
>
> The relevant iedit code seems to be:
>
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-in-front-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'insert-behind-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>     (overlay-put occurrence 'modification-hooks '(iedit-occurrence-update-hook))
>
> (from [2]).  If I revert the commit above on the emacs-25 tip (or
> checkout that commit's parent), the hook does run and iedit works as
> expected.

Can you post a reproducible recipe, starting from "emacs -Q", that
shows the problem?

> I apologize for not filing a bug, but I don't have an `emacs -Q' recipe,
> so there must be some other interaction with my config going on, which I
> haven't tracked down...

You can send email to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org regardless.  Please do so,
as that is where bugs should be reported and discussed.

> It's also possible that iedit is incorrectly relying on some broken
> behavior.

Yes, and that's why I asked for a recipe.

> I was hoping someone might have an idea of what's going on here.  If
> not, I'll continue pursuing a smaller repro recipe.

Please do, a recipe is very important for looking into this,
especially since I don't use that package and am not familiar with it.

Thanks.